addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Defining Deconstruction

  • Mar 23, 2013 · 1:30 PM

For Saturday, March 23rd, southern San Diego county. The exact time is exactly as posted.

This is an invitation-only meeting for those current members who have attended at least one meeting in the past six months.

The outline and details will be filled in by Fabienne by Patricia.

----

Updated Saturday, March 2, 2013:

Hi Tom, I haven't responded to your emails because I am not well and could not host again at this time. I suggest this video - there are also parts of courses on youtube - and the Stanford summary.

I hope you are OK and if I get getter I will try to see you all.

Take care,
Fab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgwOjjoYtco

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/derrida/#Dec
good summary, I think, but I am not a Derrida expert, I just attended his courses and knew him personally.

----

Updated Tuesday, March 5, 2013:

Hi Tom, ... I will gladly host this meeting. ...

Patricia

----

Updated Tuesday, March 5, 2013:

It is up to us to do our own informing and learning about this trending movement.

The preliminary plan:

  • Read and view the online materials in advance of the meeting.
  • At the meeting, we watch together an 80-minute documentary Derrida (2002 IMDb).
  • Discuss the readings and the video(s).
  • Come to an understanding of deconstruction.

For this occasion, I will bring a sweet but warm dessert.

Join or login to comment.

  • Tim

    Not gonna lie. Still don't understand HOW exactly deconstruction is done. I know it's the taking apart of a text/concept/idea (not sure if one, few, or all of these), but HOW exactly? I'd like an example, but have yet to be provided one. I know deconstruction makes impossible to answer the question of what "love" is, but that still doesn't tell me HOW deconstruction is performed.

    March 24, 2013

    • Tim

      Now that I understand much more clearly what deconstruction is, I can confidently agree that it's nothing more than a method to critique text as an art form. It doesn't undermine philosophy because as philosophers, it's our job to determine the text's meaning. Just because we could misunderstand the author's intent doesn't mean it's impossible. In fact, we have other methods to ascertain intent.

      March 26, 2013

    • Tim

      Because that is precisely what deconstruction attacks -- because we cannot really know the author's intent, and therefore, nothing can be really known (even Derrida's own communication). Not only is this a non sequitur, it's self-contradictory at so many layers.

      I think some people (and his groupies) are seduced by deconstruction because they think the self-contradiction is proof of deconstruction. Elegance is not proof!

      March 27, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Thanks to Patricia for hosting, Tom again for putting a framework around this new stuff to me, and everyone else for helping me to understand, especially Jim and his input. Oh, and the food was great too.

    1 · March 25, 2013

  • Tom O.

    It was a perfect afternoon to discuss a philosophy of art criticism that looks at man's handiworks, of which the world is one, to find inherent flaws in the structures and preferences of their constructs. Everyone was so intent on the viewing of the documentary, and we heard a whole range of criticisms lobbed at its creators. Thank you Patricia for hosting the event. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    1 · March 24, 2013

  • Tim

    Just officially got out of work. I'll see you all there. Will be around 20 minutes late.

    March 23, 2013

  • Tim

    There's a 20% chance I won't make it or will be late. I'm doing business testing for work, and to make a long story short, software testing is running 2-3 hours late. 80% I should make it there on time.

    March 23, 2013

  • Mark G.

    Something came up, so I won't be able to attend.

    March 23, 2013

  • Tim

    "Read and view the online materials in advance of the meeting."

    Just to confirm, the material is just the YouTube video and the Standford article, right? Or is there more material I'm not aware of?

    March 22, 2013

  • Patricia

    Hello, everyone!
    As of today (3/20/13) we are 10 attending this meeting! I have closed the RSVP since more than that would be to many for my place!
    Please fill free to bring snacks, deserts, anything to eat and drink.

    For those attending and have never visited my place before, please send me an email for address and driving directions. Tom, you are bringing the Derrida documentary. Am I correct?

    March 20, 2013

    • Tom O.

      Yes, I will bring the documentary.

      March 20, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Did I mention Lestat's coffee house at 3343 Adams ave. in Normal Heights for the Deconstruction meeting.

    March 17, 2013

10 went

  • Tom O.
    Co-Organizer,
    Event Host
  • Patricia
    Event Host
  • Tim
  • A former member
  • A former member
  • A former member
  • A former member
  • A former member

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy