addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Philosophers' Roundtable Message Board › Suggestions for future meeting discussion or debate topics.

Suggestions for future meeting discussion or debate topics.

A former member
Post #: 6
I encourage you to post ideas for future meeting discussion or debate topics.

Do you have any recently developed personal philosophical views that you are ready to expose to discussion and debate?

Are there any practical matters for which you think some philosophical analysis would benefit?

Are there timely political issues which deserve some deeper philosophical exposition, analysis and reasoned argument?

Is there some puzzling aspect of life you just want to ponder along with others by having a discussion?
Leila
liparello
La Mesa, CA
Post #: 1
I've been reading On Minds and Symbols, the Relevance of Cognitive Science for Semiotics by Thomas C. Daddesio. I have an interest in Charles Peirce's work on sign theory as well. I am working (very, very, slowly..) on a paper that would attempt to rescue art and mimesis from the inferior ontological status it has inherited due to Plato's indictment of it. I'll say more about this later.
A former member
Post #: 7
I've been reading On Minds and Symbols, the Relevance of Cognitive Science for Semiotics by Thomas C. Daddesio. I have an interest in Charles Peirce's work on sign theory as well. I am working (very, very, slowly..) on a paper that would attempt to rescue art and mimesis from the inferior ontological status it has inherited due to Plato's indictment of it. I'll say more about this later.

Leila, it would be great to hear more about your current field of interest, your paper and the book you are reading. Perhaps you'd like to expose it to the group for discussion. I would hope we could be of at least some small benefit to you in "sharpening your saw". I'm sure we would benefit from it. I think all the discussions about definitions of terms are great (really) and logic is a strong interest of mine, but it would be nice to mix in some new subjects. I'm sure you would recognize the overlaps with topics the group has previously discussed.

I looked at the table of contents of the On Minds and Symbols book on Amazon.com. It looks like a book for me to read down the road sometime after I get more of the basics down.

By the way, I've picked up a few used books at a cheap price on the philosophy of mind that I noticed weren't already in the S.D. library: The Concept of Mind Gilbert Ryle 1949, Minds and Machines Alan Ross Anderson 1964, The Nature of Mind
David M. Rosenthal 1991. I also snagged A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness V.S. Ramachandran 2004 from my stepdaughter after her college course in which she used it. You are welcome to borrow any of these if you would like. I have a few books in line ahead of them.

Did I hear correctly a rumor that you have dance studio? Does it double as a philosophical laboratory? What sort of dance? My wife and I dance salsa - and my wife dances a lot more than - she has even returned to ballet as a sort of pastime and exercise.
Leila
liparello
La Mesa, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Michael,
Ryle's The Concept of Mind is definitely a must read because it is the thesis that private criterion of meaning do not exist, or do not reveal anything that is not already observable in the organism's behavior. (Behaviorism) Daddesio is arguing against this on several fronts.
I like logic too, but I am not as advanced in logic as those of you who are programmers. I teach the basics, (critical thinking, categorical props. & syllogisms, and propositional logic).
Yes, I own a dance studio. Ballet was my first career, and I have always taught it, even if part time. During the week evenings I am teaching ballet, since the community colleges have all cut back on giving us classes. Many part timers have been laid off completely.
That's great that your wife dances! Here is my website:
www.letsdancesandiego.com
The studio hasn't doubled as a philosophical lab yet. I guess that could happen..
A former member
Post #: 9
I ran across this book at the bookstore that may provide some material for future meetups. It may be quite a while before I get around to reading this given my long reading list.

On Physics and Philosophy

It examines what new physics, especially quantum mechanics might imply for philosophical thought. From what I see, the author takes a Kantian or Neo-Kantian position.
Tim
Ctrl_F4
San Diego, CA
Post #: 26
What constitutes sufficient evidence for inductive reasoning?
A former member
Post #: 35
I think we've talked about this implicitly over time but a more thorough look at the Problem of Universals would be a good discussion.
Tim
Ctrl_F4
San Diego, CA
Post #: 31
What is romantic love? Is such love a compromise of ideals (e.g. most romantic interests are not the "perfect lover")?
Tim
Ctrl_F4
San Diego, CA
Post #: 32
Why should we not steal/murder/cheat if we can get away with it? To avoid social persecution? That would beg further questions (e.g. What compels people to persecute; is it conformity, tribalism, etc.?). As social animals, are we biologically programmed to shun stealing/murdering/cheating?