The San Diego Shooters club Message Board › Anybody into reloading?

Anybody into reloading?

A former member
Post #: 8
I've been thinking about reloading and was wondering if anybody would be willing to lend some insight/advice on how to get started. I've been saving up all my brass and now have a couple of home depot buckets full of various calibers. I recently bought a tumbler and media from El Cajon Gun Exchange and have begun the process of tumbling them. I have a Harvey Depriming tool coming too. I'm undecided on starting with a single stage or turret press, probably going with an RCBS Rockchucker. But the Lee presses seem more in my price range. I would love a Dillon progressive, but I don't have the $$$. I've also been reading the Lyman Book and watching You Tube. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 141
Hey Cal,

I've had a couple classes at my house. Let me know if you want to get together, and I can show you what I have, and maybe that would give you some ideas. I have a little bit of everything.

Mike
Don
user 74642522
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
I've been reloading since the 70s. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

For starters, sort you brass by caliber and by brand. Both are pressed into the headstamp.

The choice between a single stage press and a progressive one is personal preference. If you're into precision shooting, accuracy (as in competition), I'd recommend a single stage. It is much slower than a progressive, but your ammo is more uniform and consistent. If you not, a progressive is fine. You can produce ammo many times faster.

I recommend decapping your brass prior to cleaning.

In general, you save about half the price of factory loads, some a little more, some a little less. The bigest advantage of reloading over factory is that you can customize and/or vary your loads to your weapon and to your taste. Factory rounds come in that 'one size fits all' category (no, I don't mean caliber). Sometimes you get a good fit and you have good accuracy, other times not and your accuracy is so-so.

Hope that helps.
Don
A former member
Post #: 9
Thanks for the information. Mike, when is your next class? I'm definitely interested. As I said, I'm still in the research phase so any information I can get would pay dividends later.
A former member
Post #: 10
I've been reloading since the 70s. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

For starters, sort you brass by caliber and by brand. Both are pressed into the headstamp.

The choice between a single stage press and a progressive one is personal preference. If you're into precision shooting, accuracy (as in competition), I'd recommend a single stage. It is much slower than a progressive, but your ammo is more uniform and consistent. If you not, a progressive is fine. You can produce ammo many times faster.

I recommend decapping your brass prior to cleaning.

In general, you save about half the price of factory loads, some a little more, some a little less. The bigest advantage of reloading over factory is that you can customize and/or vary your loads to your weapon and to your taste. Factory rounds come in that 'one size fits all' category (no, I don't mean caliber). Sometimes you get a good fit and you have good accuracy, other times not and your accuracy is so-so.

Hope that helps.
Don

Don, so you decap prior to cleaning? What's your reasonning behind this? Interested to hear. I've seen and heard various schools of thought on this and to me, it makes sense to decap after cleaning so you don't get media stuck in the pocket.
Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 143
Dont have anything scheduled at the moment, but I've done them in the past. I have no issues doing a one on one at some point if you want to get together. I'll be doing some reloading this weekend in fact, so let me know if you want to get together, and I'll email you my adress.
A former member
Post #: 11
Dont have anything scheduled at the moment, but I've done them in the past. I have no issues doing a one on one at some point if you want to get together. I'll be doing some reloading this weekend in fact, so let me know if you want to get together, and I'll email you my adress.

I have range duty at South Bay Rod & Gun this Saturday. If Sunday is good for you, I'm down.
aaron h.
user 13569201
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
if possable i would like to join in on the reloading. i want to get into it but dont know much about how to.
Don
user 74642522
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
Yes, sometimes, the media does get stuck in the primer pocket. But, I felt like I was cleaning the spent primers if I didn't decap them. It's a personal preference. One thing I did to avoid the plug pockets it to switch the media. I started going to pet stores for my media. They sell crushed walnut media for the bedding in reptile enclosures. It is much finer and dosn't usually plug up the pocket and works just as well if not better -- and it is cheaper!

Recently, I've switched to ultrasonic cleaning to clean the cases and the vibrator to polish them. With a untrasonic, the pocket must be free to get cleaned. A primer gets in the way.

Like everything else, we all have our preferences and habits. This works well for me.

Don
A former member
Post #: 12

Got your email. Thanks!