addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Shooters club Message Board › Anybody into reloading?

Anybody into reloading?

A former member
Post #: 13
Yes, sometimes, the media does get stuck in the primer pocket. But, I felt like I was cleaning the spent primers if I didn't decap them. It's a personal preference. One thing I did to avoid the plug pockets it to switch the media. I started going to pet stores for my media. They sell crushed walnut media for the bedding in reptile enclosures. It is much finer and dosn't usually plug up the pocket and works just as well if not better -- and it is cheaper!

Recently, I've switched to ultrasonic cleaning to clean the cases and the vibrator to polish them. With a untrasonic, the pocket must be free to get cleaned. A primer gets in the way.

Like everything else, we all have our preferences and habits. This works well for me.

Don

Thanks for the info, Don! I don't have an ultrasonic... yet. I saw one at Harbor Freight, maybe I'll pick one up. UPS and USPS visited my house today so my Harvey Decapper is in, along with a shell sorter and media separator. Looks like I can start decapping and cleaning my brass soon.

Cal
A former member
Post #: 14
if possable i would like to join in on the reloading. i want to get into it but dont know much about how to.

I'm just getting started too. I started by watching lots of You Tube videos and reading the Lyman's Reloading Manual (49th Edition). From there, I purchased what I needed to prep the cases that I've been saving from the last year's range outings. Which is where I'm at now. Still undecided as to which press and whether I want to go single stage, turret or progressive.

Cal
spaik
user 7723076
San Diego, CA
Post #: 9
I have a Dillon Square Deal but no idea how to use it. I'd love to see someone do some reloading before I try it, to minimize the chances of a kaboom. Friends tell me to follow the directions and all will be fine, but I feel it's best to see it first.

I'm out for the next few weekends, but if something happens in the next month, I might be down for it.

There is a gun store in La Mesa that holds a monthly reloading class on the weekend. I've been meaning to go, but never get the time. Here's a link to the class:
http://www.lmcammo.co...­
A former member
Post #: 15
I have a Dillon Square Deal but no idea how to use it. I'd love to see someone do some reloading before I try it, to minimize the chances of a kaboom. Friends tell me to follow the directions and all will be fine, but I feel it's best to see it first.

I'm out for the next few weekends, but if something happens in the next month, I might be down for it.

There is a gun store in La Mesa that holds a monthly reloading class on the weekend. I've been meaning to go, but never get the time. Here's a link to the class:
http://www.lmcammo.co...­

If I were you, I'd get to learnin' ASAP! Those Dillon presses are top o' the line! ...So I've heard. smile

La Mesa Collectibles is actually in El Cajon (whodathunkit)...

In my search for knowledge, I visited this fine establishment just this past weekend. I found out that the next reloading class is in April. February and March are already sold out! Class size is usually around 10-12. They're sold out on most of their presses. The ones left were kinda pricey for me.
A former member
Post #: 10
Hey Cal,

I've had a couple classes at my house. Let me know if you want to get together, and I can show you what I have, and maybe that would give you some ideas. I have a little bit of everything.

Mike

Hey Mike,

If you hold a class can you please include me? Total newbie but willing to learn.

Sandi
Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 144
Sure thing.

There has already been a few others who have shown interest.

Hopefully I'll be able to do one again soon.
aaron h.
user 13569201
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
i would like to get in on a class ws well.
A former member
Post #: 6
I wouldn't mind a review on rifle ammo. Are there any group buys for supplies? Any suggestions on where to get primers in town?