The San Diego Shooters club Message Board › Front Sight Firearms Training

Front Sight Firearms Training

Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 76
Hey Gang,

I just found some certificates for first time students for training at Front Sight on eBay. $2000 value for their 4 day pistol, rifle, or shotgun courses, for $160.

That's a huge deal. All sellers had high ratings, and I looked on the Front Sight website and it shows the certificates are redeemable, and have no expiration date. Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm thinking the "whole too good to be true" adage may apply here. If these re legit, I need to get one. I've been wanting to take the 4 day practical rifle course for a while now, but the $2000 price tag has been prohibitive.

Mike
Sonny L.
user 10521754
Norfolk, VA
Post #: 3
Hey Mike,
From what I know that is an average price for those certificates. Anyone who signs up for the lifetime membership gets 3 or 4 I believe, they are meant to be given away in order to get more people out to the facility. Many people just sell there's and I believe that is what you are seeing on ebay, from what I know after talking to Frontsight I believe they are legit.

Hope that helps.
Sonny
Barry M.
user 12430941
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
They are legit - as mentioned the certs are included as a benefit/incentive with FS memberships.

The training is excellent and the certs are a great deal, you will not find this quality of training for $160 anywhere.

FWIW, I am a FS member and have attended 4 classes so far. I don't care for the FS hype and marketing tactics, but I have no argument with the quality of training provided and value received! I've also sent 8 friends to the rifle and handgun classes, two of whom were active duty Marines, and all have been very pleased (three ended up buying FS memberships as well).

If you do go, I have some notes I've written up that may be of help. Email me with your address and I would be happy to forward them on.

Barry
Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 77
Sweet, good to hear they are legit, I think I'm gonna take the leap and get one. Thanks for the info about it, now I'm excited to go.

I'm in the process of building a new AR-15, and after seeing what is required for the pratical rifle class, I'm going to tailor my build for that.

How much are the FS memberships?

Thanks again for all the info.

Mike
Mr. Z
user 10193636
San Diego, CA
Post #: 25
If you know somebody with a diamond membership(I think it's the 2/3 most expensive options as well) they get a birthday party with 40 guests. Thats how I went for free...minus the cost of food and hotel.
Barry M.
user 12430941
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
Just sent you some notes, they are targeted at the 4DDH class, but are appropriate for the rifle and shotgun classes as well. Some rifle class specific comments are below.

BTW, you can only attend on the $200 basic (white or grey) certificates ONCE. The 2nd time student certs (blue) are much harder to find, and run around $400 when you can get them. So if you like the classes, and want to go back (you will), consider joining at some point.

Memberships run from $2K to $20K, but there are 'special offers' all the time, and the memberships are transferable. So you might look out for someone selling theirs at a discount. Mine was $2K, I've been to four classes, and sold two of my certs (back when the street price was $200 on Ebay). So basically I have taken 16 days of training at a cost of $100 per day. That's pretty good and I figure I have gotten my money's worth already - and I can attend classes free for the rest of my life (or as long as FS is around).

One word of advice - TEST your gun out well before you go to class, and make sure it is reliable. Bring a backup gun and test it too. Become familiar with how it works and how to clear it before you go - you'll get more out of the class if you are comfortable operating your gun and how to keep it running beforehand!

Lube, lube, lube if you have an AR - and NO steel case ammo (Wolf, etc). They are lacquer coated and after a few hundred rounds, the heat will cause the mess they leave behind to gum up the chamber and cause FTE's. At any rate, steel core ammo is not allowed either.

Keep your gun lightweight, an optic is nice but iron sights are fine. Use the irons for your first class and go back again with an optic for the advanced class, that way you'll know how to use them WHEN your optic goes down. Ringing steel at 300yds using just the irons is a great feeling. No need for any extras like foregrips, bipods, etc., though a mounted light is nice to have (but not necessary). I've used AR's (Bushmaster C-15 and a CMMG M4gery) with my Mini-14 for backup. I have had to use the backup once, so be prepared.

There is no need to gear up like a mall ninja*, but you will need a good set of elbow and knee pads, a good wide brimmed hat, and thin, flexible shooting gloves. A good pair of BDU pants are nice to have, as you'll want the pockets for extra mags, empties, etc..

* in fact it's an inside joke that the guys who show up looking 'Tacticool' and all ready to go to the sand box and play, both in personal gear and on the gun, are pretty much laughed at.

Have fun and feel free to ask any questions...

Barry

Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 78
Thanks for all the info.

I was looking at the FS website today, and checking out the memberships, they do get pricey, but I can see the draw. The cheapest one was like 5 grand and if you did the 90 monthly payments it was closer to $8500. Needless to say the wife would have my head. I'm just 6 lucky numbers awaytongue

Mike
Barry M.
user 12430941
San Diego, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks for all the info.

I was looking at the FS website today, and checking out the memberships, they do get pricey, but I can see the draw. The cheapest one was like 5 grand and if you did the 90 monthly payments it was closer to $8500. Needless to say the wife would have my head. I'm just 6 lucky numbers awaytongue

Mike

Ignore the prices on the website. The going rate for a mid-range membership is $2K... kind of like the TV pitchmen that claim "Retail vale is $100 but if you order today...it's yours for $19.99!". Like I said, the marketing methods FS uses leave a lot to be desired.

If you get serious about buying a membership, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Go to a class first and see if you like the training.

Barry
Mike
Ponzi
San Diego, CA
Post #: 79
Thanks Barry, I'll let you know how it goes.

I got my certificate in the mail todybiggrin
Barry M.
user 12430941
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
Cool - let me know what class you attend, I may try to go back in late October when the temps come back down to sub-broiler level. smile

remember to allow 2 weeks for the background check, and get a couple of character references set up now. You can send in the paperwork now, they will keep it on file for 1 year.

Have fun -

Barry