The San Francisco Tennis Party Message Board › My tennis double tips & strategies

My tennis double tips & strategies

Raymond
My 30 Tennis Double tips and strategies
by Raymond Kwong, organizer

I have learned tips here & there from so many great players and still learning weekly. I do not consider myself a great player frankly, but a friend commented to me, "you are the most improved player I've seen"? Pass this on!

1. Most players do not do enough warm up exercise, thus more prone to injuries. Boy, did I learn!
2. Spent 10 minutes in a warming up practice, the volleys? Get there early rather than rush in & play.
3. During warm-up with opponent, probe his weaknesses. Before play share with your partner any findings. Who is the weaker player, who can't run.
4. Do compliment your partner & not scold him or sigh when he makes mistakes. He already feels bad!
5. Communicate with your partner on your plan or change of tactic.
6. When you are up the first set, tell yourself you are behind and play as if you are!
7. Breathing in when you pull back your racket & breath out (I grunt) while hitting it helps you to be consistent in your stroke.
8. When your opponent win a point, only need to give a mild compliment like" good shot"
9. Psychological warfare- when you praise your partner & give a high 5 & smile, it bothers your opponent, esp. if they don't compliment/communicate with each other.
10. Avoid low % shots like straight down the ailse
11. Try to hit ball to within 3 feet inside sideline or baseline, unless you are a good placement player
12. Do not play his game. If he is a power player, give him junk ball. Frustrate him with drop shots, lobs.
13. Remember, whoever controls the game win. Make them run and get tired!
14. Do look back if you think your partner is behind you so you won't block his shot
15. Have at least 2 serves. Surprise them occasionally.
16. In a match, if a ball really is out, no need to be polite about it.
17. Some of most effective strategies are hit to their foot, hit between the two of them & lop when both are up front.
18. Do not be impatient to make a killing shot unless you are pretty sure you have such a chance. Keep the ball in play & let them make the mistake
19. Say, "Yours" if you need help. or ,"mine"
20. Preparation is so vital, when he serves the ball to you, you should already anticipate where it will land.
21. Try to use your dominate hand say forehand as much as possible. within reason. Other players say you should never run around your backhand, but I score better when I use more forehands.
22. If you win a game, get into the next games ASAP. A psychological advantage
23. If you lose a game, take a little more time before getting into next game. You want to slow down their momentum & excitement.
24. I learned that even if your eyes can see the ball coming, keep your eyes on the ball a little longer through the contact & you will be surprised how it improves your accuracy.
25. A most common error is probably the return serve. Try to draw him out to the side.
26. If you miss your first serve, best to take your time before you serve the second. Better to have a weak serve than double fault.
27. If your opponent serve a weak second serve, I usually take advantage of it & return it hard to put him on the defense. That often set it up for my partner to poach.
28. Unless you are confident of an effective poach, stay put, don?t move left & right, confusing your partner. Once you poach, commit. Personally, because I have a weaker backhand, I would mostly poach when it's on my forehand side.
29. Try to lob a ball to his backhand. Most 3.0 players have a hard time returning it.
30. Use more topspin, especially on the lob.

I have many more that I give in my tennis lessons. Enough to digest for now