We will meet to WALK at Spring Lake Park at 8:15 by the BOAT DOCKS/LAUNCH RAMP at HOWARTH PARK off Summerfield Road
The TALK will begin by the picnic area near the BOAT DOCKS/LAUNCH RAMP at 9:30. In the case of rain, we will migrate over to East/West cafe on Summerfield Road.
(If we arrive later in the mornings on Saturdays, members of our group reported significant trouble finding parking when the weather gets nicer.)
o Organizer: Judy
o Book: Flight Behavior
by Barbara Kingsolver
Set in present day Appalachia, the novel is a parable of catastrophe and denial that explores the complexities of environmental dilemmas as seen through the eyes of a young mother in rural Tennessee and how her discovery energizes religious leaders, climate scientists, environmentalists, politicians, and her family. ==> Caution: Some members reported that the book starts very slow and they preferred skipping the first 100 pages, but the rest of the book and the ending were great for discussion.
o Organizer: Jan
o Book: Life and Times of the Thunder Bolt Kid
o Location/Time: TBD -- Spring Lake Park at 8:30AM?
The Life and times of The Thunderbolt Kid
by Bill Bryson
A vivid, nostalgic and funny memoir of growing up in the middle of the US in the 1950's
=*=*=*=WALKING BOOK CLUB: HOW WE WORK=*=*=*=
* The Walking Book Club is an entirely volunteer activity organized by women who like to walk, like to read, and enjoy the perspectives of other women who enjoy the same. We have no sponsors or paid endorsers.
* We use Meetup.com to notify members of meetings, gather RSVP, send out questions for the books we read, gather lists of future books, etc. Meetup charges $12-$15/month. In 2014, we may ask members to pay $12/year to pay for the website costs.
* There are ideally four or five women who lead the monthly discussions, make the reservation with the restaurant, etc. One co-organizer, now Jan, is in charge of the Meet-up website, collecting fees, and paying for the website. In the warmer, drier months, we typically meet by the boat dock picnic benches Spring Lake Park, then walk from there. Co-organizers back each other up for meetings in the event that the organizer of meeting has an emergency, etc.
* Due to summer parking struggles at the park during warmer months, we typically meet earlier in the morning (8 or 8:30am). During winter months, we typically meet later (9AM), unless otherwise posted by that month's organizer.
* When we meet at East/West Cafe (or an equivalent restaurant), we ask that members note the cost of the item(s) they order, multiple it by 1.3 (to cover both tax and a tip), and pay with cash. This payment method has worked really well, everyone left happy, the restaurant welcomes us back, and no one gets stuck with a bill.
* Book titles are suggested by members and we periodically update the calendar and book list below, with members voting and agreeing on the books we will read and discuss.