We will probably meet at Spring Lake Park, then walk from there if the weather cooperates. Otherwise, we will meet at East/West Cafe.
o Organizer: Jan o Book: Underground
o Location/Time: Spring Lake Park at 8:10AM Weather Permitting
o Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche
Author: Haruki Murakami 366 pages
An exploration of the Japanese psyche within the context of the 1995 event where followers of the religious cult Aum Shinrikyo unleashed lethal gas into cars of the Tokyo subway system.
=*=*=*=WALKING BOOK CLUB: HOW WE WORK=*=*=*=
* The Walking Book Club is an entirely volunteer activity organized by women who like to walk, like to read, and enjoy the perspectives of other women who enjoy the same. We have no sponsors or paid endorsers.
* We use Meetup.com to notify members of meetings, gather RSVP, send out questions for the books we read, gather lists of future books, etc. Meetup charges $12-$15/month. In 2014, we may ask members to pay $12/year to pay for the website costs.
* There are ideally four or five women who lead the monthly discussions, make the reservation with the restaurant, etc. One co-organizer, now Jan, is in charge of the Meet-up website, collecting fees, and paying for the website. In the warmer, drier months, we typically meet by the boat dock picnic benches Spring Lake Park, then walk from there. Co-organizers back each other up for meetings in the event that the organizer of meeting has an emergency, etc.
* Due to summer parking struggles at the park during warmer months, we typically meet earlier in the morning (8 or 8:30am). During winter months, we typically meet later (9AM), unless otherwise posted by that month's organizer.
* When we meet at East/West Cafe (or an equivalent restaurant), we ask that members note the cost of the item(s) they order, multiple it by 1.3 (to cover both tax and a tip), and pay with cash. This payment method has worked really well, everyone left happy, the restaurant welcomes us back, and no one gets stuck with a bill.
* Book titles are suggested by members and we periodically update the calendar and book list below, with members voting and agreeing on the books we will read and discuss.