The Savannah Pub Crawlers! Message Board › Looking for new organizer and co-organizers for Savannah Pub Crawlers

Looking for new organizer and co-organizers for Savannah Pub Crawlers

Bill
user 10184326
Parkville, MD
Friends,

I am sorry that I have been slack about planning events for the last six months.  As some of you know, I moved up to Alexandria, VA about a year ago and I hoped that I would be able to plan events for a short while and then have someone else take over the group.  It worked for a while but I have now become active in groups up here and been busy going to happy hours, dinners out and the kind of events with fun people which I loved in Savannah.  I have done a poor job of planning events for you in the last six months.  Please accept my apology, you deserve better.  I have made a number of friends through this group and I wish you all the best.

Effective immediately I have opened up the site so that anyone can suggest and plan events. If 3 people are interested, it becomes active.  This is not the best planning method.  Over the past year I have learned better ways to run a meetup group from some of the excellently run groups in the Alexandria, VA area, including the Alexandria Happy Hour Meetup Group (http://www.meetup.com/Alexandria-Happy-Hour-Meetup-Group/­) and the Alexandria Fairfax Events Club (http://www.meetup.com/The-Alexandria-Fairfax-Events-Club/­) .  I do not know when or if I will have the opportunity to call Savannah home again.

Therefore, I am looking for someone in Savannah to take over the job as organizer.  I am also looking for a number of co-organizers.  It is best if there are a number of co-organizers (5-20) who can plan events they are interested in.  If you are interested in organizing events, go to it. If you are interested in taking over the job as organizer, I will help you as much as I can and help you with some best practices.  I would like to have people plans some events, see if they like it, and pass over the leadership of the group.  Please note that while Meetup.com does not charge people to be in groups, it does charge groups about $140 a year.  I have never charged members and hope that whoever want to be organizer feels the same.

One of the things which works well is to have events people can plan on going to every month.  One group up here has a happy hour that meets twice a month in various bars in Old Town Alexandria.  They get between 75-100 people at every event and are able to get the selected bars to provide longer happy hours (in some cases all night long). While that group is 3 times the size of ours, they started with much smaller happy hours and built it up.  Green Drinks in Savannah does a good job of this and I think we could put some of their events on our calendar or plan similar ones.

Please start planning some events and if you are interested in taking over as an active organizer, let me know. 

Have a great summer and I hope to see you whenever I get a chance to come back to Savannah.

Bill