align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Seattle Ruby on Rails Developers Meetup Group Message Board › Ruby and Rails Newbie Group

Ruby and Rails Newbie Group

A former member
Post #: 4
I'm starting up a group for those of us that are new to Ruby/Rails and are learning it. I find learning as part of a group to work best for me to avoid false starts and common pitfalls, and to share resources. At this point I'm open to suggestions as to a good format (study group, start a class, hire a group tutor, try to get a group rate from some local teacher for a class, etc.)

I was thinking a great place to start would be to get to the weekly Tuesday night meetup at Cafe Vivace a little early, say 6:15pm, and try to grab a table. If we can't grab a table there (it gets really crowded), then maybe we could move to a nearby coffee shop.

If any experienced/knowledgeable RoR devs would care to sit with us and impart some of their knowledge, that would be totally awesome!

Anyone interested in this idea or who has other ideas for how to get a group going or start a class, etc., please reply to this post.

Cheers!
Kris Luminar
A former member
Post #: 3
I would like to help/present a topic for this, if we could find a venue it would work at. I was thinking an introduction to Heroku would be really helpful for beginners. It feels great to get your app up and open so quickly. Much more satisfying than localhost:3000.

Vivace is OK, but I would like a more open space.
A former member
Post #: 5
Thanks Jeff!

Heroku looks pretty sweet, I'd love to learn more about it.

I have some other ideas for a venue: the Northeast Branch of the Seattle Public Library has a nice meeting room that can be reserved (as do many of the other branches). Metrix Create Space on Capitol Hill is great as well. Both have excellent WiFi. If anyone else has any good ideas for a venue, please chime in.

-Kris
A former member
Post #: 4
I think those suggestions sound great. Much better venue for something like this. I can live without the coffee too (but I'm not a Seattle local haha)

So I'm to help out with whatever I can to help get something organized. Maybe we could get erfon to send out a message to the group to see if any beginners are interested?
A former member
Post #: 7
I called Metrix Create Space and inquired about reserving a table for, say, Tuesday night. The person there said that they don't really take reservations but said that they've never really seen it fill up except for maybe Wednesdays or Saturdays. They recommended that we just show up and there will probably be enough room for us.

If time permits, I'll see about reserving the meeting room at the Northeast Library branch.

A former member
Post #: 9
I reserved the meeting room at the Northeast Library Branch for:

• Wednesday, March 2nd from 6:30pm to 7:45pm and
  • Wednesday, April 6th from 6:30pm to 7:45pm

They only allow reservations for once per month. sad

They have a really nice room and lots of free parking, but don't appear to have a lot of outlets. The once a month limit is particularly annoying. Maybe we could meet once a week at Metrix for 3 weeks on Tuesdays and the first meeting of the month could be held at the library on Wednesdays?

Kris
Troy A.
user 13893653
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Hey guys :)

I'd like to come, and I vote we use Metrix in the interim until it becomes a problem/too full/etc?

A former member
Post #: 7
I think that sounds good, maybe we could use metrix as the more one-to-one type event, and the larger as one where we could have a short presentation each month
A former member
Post #: 10
I don't think either Metrix or the Northeast Library Branch meeting room have either a projector or a white board. One of us will have to find out. That could be a problem if anyone wants to give presentations for more people than can fit around a laptop screen.
Varun B.
user 14474125
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
I don't mean to distrupt the flow of the thread, but I'm curiou to know if anybody has gotten a ruby on rails app to work on dreamhost?

There seems to be all kinds of versioning issues. I keep getting a cannot fine mysql2 gem error and I dont have the permissions to install the gem.

Any ideas??? I just want to deploy the worlds simplist app!