add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The South East Michigan Japanese Language Meetup Group Message Board The Ann Arbor Japanese Language Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Anyone interested in studying Japanese together?

Anyone interested in studying Japanese together?

A former member
Post #: 4
Minna san Akemashite Omedetou ( Happy New Years)

As for me I'm kind of slow when it comes to learning. I also have a backwards way of studying.
I used to go to American book stores like Borders and Barnes and Nobles but, after a while the books
and the contents within started to look alike. So, my answer to myself was go to a Japanese store and try to learn from their point of view. Stores like Mirai and the Koyama Shoten were a big help. Only bad thing is the majority
of the books are written in Hiragana and Katakana and Kanji. On the bright side they have elementary through high school level. Japanese Manga help as well. Youtube search for English learning Japanese or vise versa.
Currently I'm buying the Japanese Proficiency Exam study books.
A former member
Post #: 1
Wow! mina ganbatteiru ne!

To everybody: I have some resources for learning Japanese as I've studied it since middle school if anyone wants to borrow! About the denchi jishou (electronic dictionary) my 2-cents is that if you are serious about studying, it's a good investment. But, I you recommend that you learn hiragana and katakana first! It really helped me learn and helped with my reading ability as you can press the "sharp" and it will look up the kanji u can't read! I have lots of ideas for lessons/activities, so let me know if you want my help! I love to see more people study Japanese!

although I'm not a Japanese teacher, if you need help studying, let me know. I have 1-kyu on the JLPT and I lived in Japan for 4years....It would be nice if a native speaker would be willing to help out too!

April: I would be interested in an advanced study group!

mata ne!

Shanghai, CN
Post #: 21
For those interested in getting a denchi jishou (electronic dictionary), please note that iPod touch or iPhone has a free Japanese application called "Kotoba". It is something like a dictionary and it allows Romaji, Kanji input (by handwriting) also. It will provide English/German/French/Russian meanings.

And also a few days ago, I was able to get another free Japanese application called "Japanese" ,which is very useful. (but it is no longer free unfortunately because it is a 1 day offer)

So if you own an iPod Touch or iPhone, then you probably want to try out these applications before buying an actual electronic dictionary. It might save you some money.

I will bring my iPod Touch to demonstrate the application if anyone is interested.

A former member
Post #: 10
April: I'm definitely interested in a more advanced study group too. I'm not 1-kyu level (was maybe 2-kyu level when I was in Japan 3 years ago...) daga gambaru!

Hm, thanks for sharing your study methods, Rodney, I might just see about getting some of those myself. English language books can be a bit narrowly focused on business and tourist style Japanese, so that might give some nice breadth to basic language understanding.
A former member
Post #: 5
If everybody is shooting for April to have a study session count me in.
I bring some of my resources to help everybody.
This is a big chance for me to improve my skills and see how much I know.
user 5521309
Livonia, MI
Post #: 8
OK, April (that's me), will scope out some places and hopes to have a day & place for March (I'm out of town for a while).
A former member
Konnichiwa, Watashi wa Ryan des.

I am interested in joining a group to study Japanese once or twice a week. I am a beginner speaker and it is hard for me to remember what I learn because I don't use it. I have taken a class for a couple of months and also have Japanese for busy people with audio CD. Need to study with people who are interested in learning. I feel that I speak very beginner Japanese. I went to Japan for 3 weeks over the holidays and was completely lost with the language the whole time. Let me know when or if a time and place is decided. I am located in Novi.

user 3594263
Belleville, MI
Post #: 7
Hi Ryan.

Thanks for your interest. You came to the right place. Japanese for busy people is a great text for beginners but even that and audio CDs can't substitute actual practice. We had a get together last weekend with 4 of us and it went really well. Hope to get these sessions worked out on a regular basis. Is Yipsilanti too far a drive for you? I'm just curious so I can plan the next meeting.

Just to give everyone a heads up I'm looking at a possible get together on Friday January 23rd around 5:00-6:00pm or Saturday morning around 10am. Location TBA. I'll be away on that Sunday. Send me an email if you are interested.
A former member
Post #: 13
Anyone interested in starting this up again? I'd love to learn in the more advanced group, or I'd be willing to help beginners. April, did you find any good locations?
A former member
I'd also be up for getting together for studying Japanese. If I had to rate my Japanese, I suppose I would say I'm intermediate. I haven't taken any JLPT tests, but I believe I could quite readily pass level 3. I've studied Japanese for 2 years here at U of M and just recently spent 6 weeks in Japan at a language school. Recently, I've started reading manga in Japanese.

Does anyone have a good place to meet up? Where were these study sessions held before?