Lit
Lit_C
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 66

Anyone watching Japanese TV dramas in this group ?

I am currently watching the following dramas:

1. Tokyo Dogs - It is funny at times when the mom calls the main actor (Oguri Shun) out in the blue when he is on a case.

2. Ohitorisama - About a female teacher living independently.

3. JIN

I can't wait for Nodame Cantabile the movie to be available. :)

Lit
Lit_C
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 67

Often you learn about Japanese culture from the words used in the dramas.

I always enjoy reading those short cultural explanations listed in the website below.

Eg. from Ohitorisama
http://community.live...­

Jessica
user 9645791
Canton, MI
Post #: 3
I am like a drama addict!!! I usually wait until they've finished airing, so I don't have to wait a week or two between episodes-- but I did check out the first episode of Jin and Tokyo Dogs, both of which seemed pretty good! I just got done watching Ninkyo Helper and 1 Litre of Tears, I kind of fall victim to a lot of the lighter dramas. O:-) Hataraki Man was a pretty good one too I think.
Lit
Lit_C
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 68

Glad to hear from another drama addict. :)

If you like lighter (comedic) dramas and if you have time, you should check the following:

Nodame Cantabile
Hotaru no Hikari
Hanazakari no Kimi Tachi e
Seigi no Mikata
Yume wo Kanaeru Zo
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

Osen <= this drama is about Japanese food & traditional Japanese restaurant ... makes you really hungry when you see it.

Buzzer Beat => love story + basketball theme
Bara no nai Hanaya => love story

I just saw Ninkyo Helper which is kind of interesting. Something that has the underworld theme but funnier is "My boss my hero". It is a much older drama.

I also saw Hataraki Man too. It's a nice one too.

At first , I started with the lighter dramas. Now, I have progressed to police dramas, dramas with stories..., and those that makes you cry.

In general, anything that is good, I will probably see it.

Now I am watching Ohitorisama, Otomen, ...
Jessica
user 9645791
Canton, MI
Post #: 4
Awesome! I'm excited, I'll have to check those out- I have seen Hana Kimi, I really enjoyed that one :) If you like dramas that will make you cry... definitely 1 Litre of Tears is really really good. It's about a young girl who finds out she has some sort of a cerebral degenerative disease and how she and her family cope with the situation. Hmm, along the police type dramas, have you seen "Maou"? Ikuta Toma (Nakatsu from Hana Kimi) stars in it in more of a serious type role as a detective. I recently saw a firefighter drama that was decent also, "Rescue" was the name.

I've heard a lot about Ohitorisama, so I'm thinking I'll move that to the top of the list! Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm going to be a busy gal!! :D
Lit
Lit_C
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 69

Looks like you will be busy for a while. :)

I have heard of "1 litre of tears". I have the movie version but I have not watched it yet. Someday.

I do have a couple of those tear jerking movies/dramas. One of the nice ones is "Shiroi Haru".

I try to watch something more cheerful during the winter months and currently I am trying to see those older dramas that has Ayase Haruka in it.

Yes, I have seen Maou too (Because of Ikuta Toma in Hana Kimi and 'Honey and Clover'). It is a bit dark.

Sometimes I watch dramas because of certain actors or actresses or its ratings, as much as I would not admit. :)
Any drama that has Takeuchi Yuko, I would never miss it.

Do watch "Seigi no Mikata" ... that was a very funny drama about the elder sister torturing the younger sister.

And Ohitorisama , of course.

"BOSS" is a pretty good police drama too.
Jessica
user 9645791
Canton, MI
Post #: 5
Ahh, I'm not really familiar with dramas that Ayase Haruka has been in, except for Jin... but that's not really anything to be embarrassed about, watching dramas based on who stars in them... I do that all the time! lol... but I am however sort of embarrassed to admit that I am watching Kamen Rider Kabuto right now... I'm about half way through, and then I'll be starting Ohitorisama. Ohitorisama just finished airing though, correct?
Lit
Lit_C
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 70

I started to notice Ayase Haruka when I saw her in "Hotaru no Hikari". She was really funny in that drama. (romantic comedy).

So I am now backtracking to her older dramas (to see how her acting skills have evolved). She is getting popular since she is becoming more involved in movies now. Eg. "Cyborg She" , "Ichi".

Ideally dramas should be watched based on their merits and not because of certain actors/actresses. :) But I am sure the ratings is somewhat influenced by the fans' support for the actors/actresses too.

I watched just 1 episode of Kamen Rider because I wanted to check out how it is like currently. (used to see it in Chinese dubbed version when I was a real small kid ...so I was curious) :)

Yup, Ohitorisama has just finished airing (actually all of the fall dramas have completed airing) but the English subs are at Ep. 7. So I have not finished watching the drama yet.

Have fun watching the dramas in the next few days.
Jessica
user 9645791
Canton, MI
Post #: 6
True what you say about its merits, but as with a lot of movies, it is almost guaranteed that if a certain actor (take Denzel Washington for example) not always, but usually if he's in a movie... it's just about guaranteed to be good, so I guess that's what I meant. :) Heh, I don't know... I guess it is all rather relative. :)

But thanks :) You enjoy your viewing as well- do you download them or view them on mysoju or dramacrazy?
Tracy M from A.
Tracymobley
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 8
Where can you watch Japanese and/or Korean dramas
-Tracy