The Southeast Michigan Poetry Meetup Group Message Board › poems of the broken heart

poems of the broken heart

Sanjay
user 11884239
Auburn Hills, MI
Post #: 51
So I have been absent for a while, and that I blame on a very pretty girl who I was dating, who just happened to recently think we should part ways. So, as every heartbroken poet out there, I did what I could and wrote a poem.

But as you know, my penchant for hiding meaning in plain sight forced me to write this piece in (what would be a poorly attempted) style of secrecy.

Offer criticism if you wish, but this is just someplace I wanted to share my pain. And know I won't be judged. It's as therapeutic as talking to a complete stranger, in this case strangers being my fellow poets who offer the security only found with total strangers (and strangers some of you are not), but yet, Facebook is full of known names and I don't want to embarrass one in particular.

So here goes.

Seasons of love.

The morning it brings hope, like the spring six months ago,
And the warm shower, as it washes away the memories of yesterdays,
Reminds me of how the rain swept away past winter's dirty remnants,
And back then, the green leaves weren't the only things that blossomed.

The day it grows on me, afternoon's mundane misery forces up forgotten tales
Of summer days of frolic and fun, of a smile brighter than the sun,
Oh how hot and sweaty we would get, even when the sun wasn't up anymore,
But like during the scorching days I still burn, just not on the outside anymore.

The evening comes in slow and chilly, longer shadows signal the impending gloom,
And yet again I relive the subtle indications that winter was fast approaching,
For the days, they grew shorter and the sun's smile was seldom to be glimpsed,
And even as she set this evening, she hid behind clouds of frustration and anger.

The dusk arrives in all it's glory, promising to be the prettiest time of day,
The moon shows her face, hinting at a cool romantic time, but the clouds...
Oh the clouds they linger and the temperature suddenly it dips, and catches me off guard.
I watch helplessly as the sun disappears, fall colors vanish, replaced by the truth of night.

And the night it is all around me, forever cold, and sapping hope,
For my sun, she has deserted me, and the grip of winter tightens,
The side of my bed feels empty where many a time she lay cuddled in my arms,
Cold for it will never again feel the warmth of her hot body, and nor will I.

Oh winter, I greet you with sorrow in my heart and the memory of summer on my mind,
Come and do your worst, force your solitude upon me as you tear down every single leaf,
And as your force the trees to shed, so shall I shed my ignorant mistakes against my sun,
And I shall keep and treasure only the brightest of days, for they will carry me...

They will carry me to a new day, again and again, until the fresh spring should arrive.