The Speckled Band Book Club Message Board › World Book Night

World Book Night

ValerieJayne
user 10085548
Group Organizer
Newport Pagnell, GB
Alright everyone,

I just wondered what people were doing for World Book Night? I know we have some registered givers in the group.

The website suggests doing your own "candlelit book reading" in your "local market square". Hmmm...what does everyone think?

I'm worried about being pelted with tomatoes by local drunks/kids but that might be my suspicious schoolteacher nature.

There are so many of us these days that it might be quite an event if we all got together!

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Best wishes,

Valerie
heather
user 9814555
Buckingham, GB
Post #: 21
Hi Valerie
I don't think the market square in my town would really understand!
Last year I tried the WI, Guides and youth club to set up a giving evening and follow up to discuss the book, I was really excited about 'my cause' and thought people would like free books. It proved to be very difficult and people just want donations of monetary terms not time, which was a great shame.
The web site was terrible and although i located some local givers and groups the site kept crashing and I got no help or support from world book night.
I gave away my books to friends and family who already read and was glad to get rid of them by that stage.
So I would welcome a get together and swap books with each other and give away as a joint effort.
I am working in Ascot area on 23rd so should be able to get home that evening, what are your thoughts?
Keep me posted.
H