The Sterling Database Data Solutions Group Message Board › Meetup Reminder: March 24th Database Technology meetup group.
This is a reminder for the upcoming Sterling Data Solutions User group meeting. Please spread the word.
This meeting is
bringing two important topics of interest this time. For future meetings,
please suggest topics and people who can help for those topics. That is
really appreciated. Getting FREE knowledge and socializing the goal of
this meetup. Please volunteer and be active.
Coming meetup: Thursday, March 24th at 4PM, Fairfax county Regional Library.
Location: 4000 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly, Va
(1) Business Analytic Platform Vertica.-- Presented by Vertica Inc.
(2) Sun-Oracle-Exadata Database machine - Presented by DBTechWorld.com
Summary of the topics:
(1) Business Analytics with Vertica- Speaker Kristofor "Tofor" Wright
Vertica (Soon to be a subsidiary of HP)
offers the most cost effective Business Analytics platform on the
market. Unlike other approaches to big data analytics that rely on
proprietary appliances, or big iron to get performance, Vertica is
designed to run on low-cost, industry standard hardware, and boasts the
lowest TCO for any analytics platform in the industry at any scale.
Vertica Systems has already been deployed by AOL, Washington Post, JPMorgan, Guess, Zynga, WebMD and over 325 other
The Vertica Systems analytic database is
a best of breed solution that offers customers the 4 “C’s” they are
looking for in an analytics solution;
· Column Storage: stores data the way it is queried for best performance.
· Compression: Stores more data,
provides more views, and uses less hardware, letting you keep much
more historical data in physical storage
· Clustering: Lets you scale out your database cluster infinitely by adding more hardware
· Continuous Performance: Queries and loads data 24x7 with virtually no database administration
Vertica’s technology will allow for you to achieve the following as a result:
· Real-time Analytics - Deal
with your data in real-time — consume, analyze and make decisions at
the speed of business.
· Fastest Time to Value - Shorten the time to value monetizing your data in a matter of hours, not months or years.
· Agile Deployment - Maximize flexibility — Deploy Vertica on industry-standard hardware, virtual machines, or on the cloud
(2) Sun-Oracle-Exadata Database Machine- Speaker : Jagan Reddy - Organizer of this group.
Oracle makes yet another leap ahead in meeting the ever-increasing
database I/O rates by combining technologies from Sun Microsystems,
Exadata Storage architecture, with its own software technologies. In an
exemplary combination of Sun’s hardware solutions and its own software
solutions, Oracle delivers – A database machine.
A typical Sun Oracle database machine may look like:
· 8 Oracle database 11g R2 Server
Oracle Enterprise Linux
Can include RACs
· 4 Infiniband Switches
40 Gb/Sec sustaind data bandwidth (remember it returns result datasets not blocks).
This performance is best suitable for RAC cluster configuration.
· 14 Sun Oracle Exadata Storage Servers
112 Intel Processor Cores
168 SAS or SATA Disk Drives
5TB + SUN Flash storage. (Please see later why and how this flash storage is very import component of this database machine).
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD. Let us socialize and learn new topics.
Veritca and DBTechworld are pleased to provides snacks and drinks.