add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Toledo Vegans / Vegetarians Message Board › Helpful restaurant menus

Helpful restaurant menus

user 11777745
Genoa, OH
Post #: 1
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are restaurants in the Toledo area whose menus specifically indicate which options are vegan. I have gotten really good about questioning everything, but was hopeful that there is a magical place nearby where I can simply order my meal without having to hound the wait staff and feel like I am being a nuisance. I have also learned, that even if the description of the option does not say "with cheese", it most likely will come "with cheese" cheese is that wonderful, right? Thanks for all who ponder my question and can help me in my quest.
Have a veggie filled day!!!
Helene W.
user 8927206
Toledo, OH
Post #: 3
I know that El Tipico on South marks their menu vegetarian. Her food is wonderful, fresh and organic. She checks out her sources personally. Check the menu out online. The owner is usually walking around, introducing herself and checking on the tables. She is very open to questions.
Toni H.
user 118715112
Deshler, OH
Post #: 1
The jazz cafe in maumee has an online menu with a full page of vegan options.
A former member
Post #: 2
It's best to learn how to cook because you're not going to find a lot of places that serve healthy options even if they are vegan. Even so, the chance for cross-contamination is high in restaurants that serve meat, so it's best to avoid it altogether. That said, sometimes you get caught on the road and you've no choice but to eat out.

I will list some options in order of healthiness.

The black and pinto beans, rice, fajita vegetables, all 4 salsas (mild, medium, hot, and the corn salsa), guacamole, and the lettuce at Chipotle is all vegan. It's easy to get a vegan burrito or bowl there. I'd go with the bowl over the white flour tortilla with god knows what in it. If you are unsure which ingredients are safe the workers should be able to help you.

Balance Pan Asian Grille is awesome ( because they offer many vegan Asian options. The only downside to this is that they LOVE to use oil. Their tofu is awesome, but it's also deep fried. Their noodles are covered in oil. Probably one of the healthier options is the Four Star (general tso sauce) with tofu and brown rice. They also serve Boba (bubble tea), which is awesome! Their menu is clearly marked for vegan options, and the people there are amiable to vegans.

Balance is WAY better than Paul Fleming Chang's, which is DROWNING in oil. Their waitstaff will look at you like you're crazy if you ask them about vegan food. The price difference is shocking as well. You could eat at balance twice for the price of one visit to P.F. Chang's.

Lastly, and this should probably only be a last resort, but Red Robin serves Boca Vegan burgers (which they microwave poorly) and, sadly, deep fat french fries are vegan (and bottomless if you care to wait forever to get some). I guess it's better than starving.

Other than that you can find various Mediterranean, Indian, and Middle Eastern options at various restaurants all over the city (and other nearby cities, for example Zingo's in Perrysburg).

Mi Hacienda claims to have vegan beans but without the trademark queso blanco on everything it's not going to be great food. The atmosphere is unique, though. Olive Garden is about the worst place you could go. Last time I went they charged $7 for ONE pathetic and naked iceberg lettuce salad (their dressing has milk in it) and a few plain breadsticks. No refills. Ripoff!
user 83211302
Group Organizer
Toledo, OH
Post #: 4
We went to Aladdin's last month and I was impressed with their menu. Lots of vegan items, all clearly marked.
Also, when we went to El Tipico's, Dina had gone out ahead of our visit and had bought some vegan cheese specifically for our group. (I doubt that they normally have that available.) And I'm not sure that the menu specified which items were vegan as opposed to which were vegetarian.
This "vegan/vegetarian options available" seems to be the norm for restaurants in Toledo, so unfortunately you do have to ask. Which is probably a good idea anyway since your definition of what's vegan may be different than the restaurant's. Yuck.
A former member
Post #: 3
Not to knock anyone, but we all have our own experiences to draw upon. Last time we went to Aladdin's we got sick (and it wasn't even good). We're never going there again. The same thing happened when I was an omnivore visiting El Tipico in the past, more than once. Granted, that was before the remodel some years ago but it happened all the same.

I hate to get preachy, but my aversion to eating at restaurants stems from the whole cross-contamination thing I mentioned in an earlier post. When these places sell meat there is a very real chance that you can get feces in your food whether you want to or not. I try not to eat out at all, as unrealistic a goal as that may be.

A study was done some time ago where housewives were given whole chickens to cook. They found that when housewives cooked the chicken and then were told to clean up (with either with soap, disinfectant, or bleach) that no matter what they did they couldn't get rid of the salmonella (especially those who washed the chicken before cooking). Not even bleach could do it. They also found that even those that didn't even eat the chicken had been contaminated, and that chicken feces had become a major part of their gut flora for 10 days thereafter. The only safe way to avoid contamination from meat is to never bring it in your house. (I can provide you a link to the study upon request)

Although these restaurants are usually doing their best to follow health code, that may not be enough for vegans not looking to be infected with animal feces. I worked in a couple restaurants when I was younger and I can tell you that I never once saw anyone doing a 20 second doctor style scrub down. They definitely never cleaned under their nails either. That's all it takes. I'm not going to tell you how many times I saw stuff hit the floor and go right back into the pan or meat getting cut on the serving area above non-meat items.

The real problem here is that meat is deadly and shouldn't even be legal to sell. Salmonella alone killed over 1300 people in the U.S. from 1990-2006, and campylobacter can make you a prisoner in your own body. CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases. And it doesn't stop there, without getting too far off topic, you are also threatened every time you go to the store and you put your groceries in the cart where meat was, as well as by the conveyor belt, and the cashier who handles meat packages and then touches your food packages and you bring that home none the wiser. Besides the possibility of death or great bodily harm, there's also a 10% chance that every time you get food poisoning that you will acquire chronic (as in permanent) irritable bowel syndrome and/or dyspepsia (indigestion). That's not something to mess around with! Since they aren't going to stop selling it, the best we can do is just to not support the system by giving our money to people who sell death and cruelty for a living.

I hope that wasn't too much information. I am a vegan encyclopedia.

I am, however, quite surprised to see that you guys aren't meeting up and bringing food more often. I saw a Thanksgiving but that's it so far. The rest was all restaurants. Where's the fruit picnics and the luncheons? Where's the vegan cooks and chefs?