Communities Magazine — Fall 2013
Youth in Community
New Issue in Print, Free Articles Published Online
Youth in Community—Issue #160
Our new Communities issue on Youth in Community is on its way to subscribers and stores now. You can subscribe now or order a sample and we'll ship you a copy today!
Our Fall 2013 issue focuses on Youth in Community. We hear first-hand accounts of childhoods spent in intentional community, along with reflections from now-grown-up communitarians on what they learned there. Parents share the joys and challenges of raising children in community, including the "home vs. public schooling" dilemma. We learn about cooperative experiences in which teens and young adults empower themselves to be world-changers—and also about Sociocracy, new books surveying British and spiritual communities, and two community elders with much to teach. Please join us!
Special Price: Subscribe to Communities and Buy a Communities Directory and Save $17
Price Drop! Save $17 off the cover price when you buy a 1 year subscription to Communities magazine with a copy of the Communities Directory. Only $42 gets you our quarterly magazine and our current Directory which lists over 1250 communities. Get yours today!
Articles Featured Online. The following articles from our new issue have been posted at communities.ic.org
Read this article online
Read this article online
- Notes from the Editor: Youth in Community by Chris Roth
- Childhoods at Songaia: from Fort Can-Be to Coming of Age by Fred Lanphear, Nancy Lanphear, Leah Early, Michelle Grandy, Cyndi Kershner, Rachel Lynette, and Kate Arden
- Down at the Pond: A youthful take on body image by Kim Scheidt
- Reminiscences: Growing Up in Intentional Community by Karin Iona Sundberg
- Fair Play: The Wisdom of Children in Community by Karin Iona Sundberg
- Home Schooling and Community by Berwick Eclair
- Community, Public School, and Culture Clash: Food for Thought from Rural Missouri by Sam Makita
- Quad-Parenting in Intentional Community by Stephanie Powers
- Parenting in a Community of Friends: Happiness and Heartbreak by Kristina Jansen
- A Multitude of Counselors by Understanding Israel
- The Colors of Experience: Learning with Children and Adults in Cohousing by Michelle Wheeler
- Wilderness Journeys Meet Cooperative Culture: Teens in Community on the Trail by Mary Murphy
- Learning the Art of Doing Nothing by Nikola Kendis
- The Remembrance of Roots by Michelle Erica Price
- NextGEN: Growing a Youth Movement within the Ecovillage Network by Ethan Hirsch-Tauber
- Dreaming an Ecovillage Youth Exchange Program by Kira Taylor-Hoar
- Community Living Worldwide--Exploring Positive Futures: International Communal Studies Association Conference by Bill Metcalf
- Transparency, Equivalence, and Effectiveness—How Sociocracy Can Help Communities, Part I by Diana Leafe Christian
- Review—Communes Britannica by Pam Dawling
- Review—Spiritual and Visionary Communities: Out to Save the World by Nancy Roth
- Creating Cooperative Culture: Elders in Community: Bruce and Linda’s Story by Shen Pauley
Get your Copy of Communities
Subscribe for as little as $24 a year
Get a sample copy of Communities for $5 plus shipping
Renew your subscription today
Shop online for lower shipping rates and more shipping options.
Subscriptions: one year, 4 issues: $24 US | $29 Canada | $31 Other.
Order by phone, fax, or mail:
FIC • 138 Twin Oaks Rd • Louisa VA 23093
[masked] • fax[masked]
Since 1972, Communities has been the primary resource for information, issues, and ideas about intentional communities in North America - from urban co-ops to cohousing groups to ecovillages to rural communes. Communities now also focuses on creating and enhancing community in the workplace, in nonprofit or activist organizations, and in neighborhoods, with enhanced coverage of international communities as well. We explore the joys and challenges of cooperation in its many dimensions.
Please subscribe today! If you're already a subscriber, tell your friends about us, or better yet give a gift subscription.
The Communities magazine website features a selection of articles from our quarterly magazine online. We post a handful of articles from each issue so you can get a taste of what Communities offers.
Fellowship on Facebook
This eNewsletter is a publication of the Fellowship for Intentional Community, in circulation since 1999, serving over 14000 subscribers.
You have received a non-personalized copy of our eNews. If you'd like to receive a personalized copy of eNews, linked to our customer records and containing a report of your current customer contact info, magazine subscription status and FIC membership status, reply to this email (using the address [address removed] and referring to customer #102142).
CHANGED YOUR INFORMATION? Please keep us informed of any changes in your customer information as displayed here. For best service use your customer number[masked] when contacting us and/or in the Notes field of the online order form. Notify us by emailing to [address removed] if you wish to update any of your contact information.
* If a friend forwarded you a copy of this online newsletter and you would like to subscribe please send a blank email to [address removed] with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Please send both your NAME and EMAIL. If you wish to get a few postal mailings per year from us also send your postal address in the body of the email.
- We share postal mail addresses occasionally with like-minded organizations. We do not sell, rent or share email addresses with any other organization. Let us know if you prefer to not share your mailing address.
- We do NOT telemarket, and do not sell, rent or share phone numbers with any other organization or business.
MAILINGS. We email to the Fellowship list once per week to announce events, new publications, and new editions. We send postal mail less frequently, typically a few times per year. Please let us know if you would prefer to receive announcements from us by postal mail, email, both, or prefer customer service contact only.