Permaculture Vancouver ! Message Board › A Sustainable Vancouver

A Sustainable Vancouver

Nickolas G.
ngrabovac
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 16
Thanks again to everyone who attended last night's meeting on creating a sustainable Vancouver. Your energy and great ideas made for a fantastic meeting. Lets keep the momentum going!

Please use this discussion on the message board to make a list of (and discuss) your ideas and the projects you would like to be involved in to help move our urban environment toward a sustainable future. This discussion will help Taygen and I get things organized for next month's meeting, where we will choose which projects to start and break up into groups to design solutions.

Cheers,

Nick
Sonja
user 8665923
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Thanks Nick and Taygen for a fabulous night.

Thinking about our discussion last night, I remembered an article that I read recently and it looks like one resource that we have plenty of here is food... There is an organization here in Vancouver (Quest) that rescues good food headed for landfills... Here is what they say “Today, we're B.C.'s only food exchange and we divert 5.77 million pounds of surplus food from landfills each year, which adds up to $7.12 million worth of food. We fill and then empty our 575-m2 warehouse each day, providing food to hundreds of social service agencies in the region feeding 40,000 people a month. Yet we're capturing less than 1% of the food being wasted.” http://www.questoutre...­

If they can only rescue 1% of that food than that’s a lot of food wasted. I just wanted to throw that out there as a fact. I am not yet sure how this could be used best but I was thinking of feedstock for Nick’s ethanol production... This is definitely not something to rely on long term since most of that food very likely traveled thousands of miles to get here but at this point in time it is here and it ends up on landfills...

Will keep thinking...
Taygen
user 8920296
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 9
Establishing Long Term Food Forests in and around Vancouver!!!
more on this later...
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey there,

I attended the last meeting. I was glad to see so any enthusiastic people with really good ideas. Admittedly I'm new to this and therefore am only just beginning to have a better sense of what permaculture is all about...that being said, are there any people in the group who would like to meet on a more regular basis to develop plans further for sustainability vancouver?

Rob
Jill
planet108
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 19
Hi Rob,

I like the idea. Maybe somewhere central like the End Cafe/Pub at Broadway skytrain?
I know it is commercial but all roads lead to the end!

Would Wednesday or Thursday night work for people?

Jill
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Jill,

Great to hear your enthusiasm. The end cafe is really convenient for me as I live on the Drive....thursday night would wrk well for me...how about 7:30...close to the entrance to be sure that we could recognize each other. Also, can everyone see these messages or do we somehow need to make them clearer on the the Permaculture page?

Rob
A former member
Post #: 3
Ooh! Glad to hear about this, I haven't been to a meeting yet, glad people are getting excited. See you all Thursday, look super friendly and permaculture-y so I can find you :)
Cheers,
Leslee
Jill
planet108
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 20
Hi,

this meeting has been postponed, and will hopefully occur next week. Please indicate if you are interested!

Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 5
Saw the email :(
Still interested for another time.
Thanks, Leslee
Nickolas G.
ngrabovac
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 17
Thanks to everyone who attended the Nov 19, 2009 meeting and shared their great ideas about making Vancouver a sustainable city. I've compiled all the ideas/suggestions into a document and tried to organize them into a few general categories. If by any chance I missed your idea, please email it to me and I will add it to the list. For now, the list is in a text file in the Files area called "Ideas for a Sustainable Vancouver - v1".

For those who prefer something more interactive I will also be adding a copy of the list to Google docs so you can update it anytime you wish. I'll let you know when I've set this up.