If you want to go to this event, please CLICK HERE to register with USSCMC in advance. This does one of two things: 1. it lets you not worry about bringing your wallet and 2. it allows them to accurately guess how many people for whom they need to make accommodations. If they run out of boats (they do have a LOT of boats), the people who register in advance will have first priority over anyone who shows up without registering.
I spoke with Alan at the US Sailing Center of Martin County, located in Stuart, and they have race night every other Wednesday evening. It is a fantastic time on Wednesdays and lots of boats to sail! They have Hobie Waves, Hobie Getaways, a large fleet of 420's, Lasers, Sunfish, windsurfers, Kayaks, etc.
There is a fantastic deck for relaxing after the sail and socializing. After the sailing, they have foods, like hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza and drinks, to include beer (donations to cover the cost of food appreciated)!
He would open up race night to the members of this group for $20 per person that would allow us to use one of the many boats there - for leisure sailing or, if qualified, to participate in the races. You would be allowed to sail for hours and it would be a blast! I put the beginning time is 6pm, but get there whenever you can. Sailing will be available from 5pm to 8pm and if you want to race or spectate, the racers will be at the starting line at 6pm.
If you are interested in learning more about the center, the web site for the US Sailing Center is www.usscmc.org.
To get there from West Palm Beach (35-45 minute drive, depending on your driving habits):
1. Take I-95 to Exit 101 (State Road 76, Kanner Highway).
2. Get off and go east (make a right) Take that road 5 miles and make a right onto Monterey.
3. Take Monterey to the end. Pay attention because there are a few confusing intersections, like at US1.
4. Make a right. Go over the bridge and make a left at the light (Indian River Blvd or N. Sewell's Point Rd). I wouldn't speed going over the bridge because it's a place they like to issue traffic citations.
5. Travel about 2 miles. You will pass the Dolphin Bar and Grill and the US Sailing Center is just over the hill and on the right side. It's a very easy drive!
If you get lost, please feel free to call me at[masked] or the US Sailing Center at (772)[masked] (at the message, press 1 for the front desk).