The West Suburban Divorce Support Group Message Board › Looking for a Divorce Lawyer

Looking for a Divorce Lawyer

A former member
Post #: 20
Hi Jack. I don't have a divorce lawyer for you, but your comment about your soon-to-be ex not taking the marriage vows seriously hit home with me. You will drive yourself crazy if you try to figure that one out. You can't be responsible for what the other person does, only for what you do. And the suicide stuff, yeah, we've all probably thought about it at one time or another. The waves of sadness do come around, even after a while. But you will find that over time the sadness abates and you will carry on. It sucks being cut loose---you question your own value---but you've got to keep going. Just keep going.

A friend of mine who is an insurance agent said that he had been to a new client's home. The client was a woman in her 40s, and on her wall hung her divorce certificate. My friend asked why she kept it there, and the woman replied that it was to remind her of how she "destroyed" (her word) her marriage. What had happened was that she left her husband for a Prince Charming, was engaged to the prince for three years, but after the three years he left for a younger woman. So now she is alone and has realized the error of her ways. She also had a framed quote hanging on the wall: "You may think the grass is greener on the other side, but if you take the time to water your own grass, it would be just as green." A real lesson learned for her.

Yeah, none of us is perfect. Yes, all of us here took the wedding vows more seriously than our former spouses. But stuff happens, and sometimes we marry people who deep down are not happy and are always looking for fulfillment. All we can do is wish them well. When the wind current changes, we have to adjust our sails and keep going.

Sincere good luck!