align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The West Suburban Divorce Support Group Message Board › Can a spouse expedite the divorce and make it final if nothing is agreed upo

Can a spouse expedite the divorce and make it final if nothing is agreed upon by having the judge intervene and decide?

A former member
Post #: 2
I filed for divorce on August 25, 2011, I've had a pre-trial, and a hearing is schedule for February 14th. My husband is trying to expedite the divorce at our first hearing by telling the judge that we can't agree on issues and wants her to take over matters and decide for us. I heard that this can happen and then my divorce will be final on Feb 14th. We've just begun the process of our divorce, haven't even gone through discovery yet, and I was told that the hearing on Feb 14th was only a "temporary hearing", not a "final hearing". My attorney is so inexperienced; I keep getting mixed answers from her. Does anyone know if this is true? Can I be officially and completely divorced if my husband turns it over to the judge? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of a great attorney that can work in Will County, please let me know as well.

Thanks a bunch!
Warm wishes,
Audra Gordon
A former member
Post #: 1
Audra, I can honestly tell you from experience in Kendall County this will never happen like this. There has to be a stage 2 or stage 3 trial hearing set, in Kendall county it took 3 months to get this court date thats how back logged the system is. This is a long and grueling process. It some cases if you cant agree they will first send you to mediation. And if that doesn't work then it will go to trial. It sounds to me like the up coming court date you have currently is status only, which is what most court dates are for. There's no chance in hell your divorce will be over that quickly. Even after your trial date proper papers need to filled out, filed with the courts and then goes back in front of the judge. relax this process is long and crappy nothing will be settled anytime soon unless you both agree on everything. If not only the lawyers make out on this.

Mike
A former member
Post #: 1
I just went through the divorce, but I can't imagine that the process could possibly be faster with the judge deciding everything. In my case, we had everything decided, even child custody, before we went to the judge. On October 1 my lawyer went to Cook County and got a date of October 19. It took only 15-20 minutes in front of the judge. I know if we had to argue every detail in front of the judge, we would have been there forever and a day. True we no longer had a house, but we have a child. Adding to the fact we were married for 20 years!
Crystal
user 8697468
Lyons, IL
Post #: 68
only if the judge is a crook and your ex is willing to pay a bribe.