The West Suburban Divorce Support Group Message Board › How to stay in the same house while in the process of divorce?

How to stay in the same house while in the process of divorce?

A former member
Post #: 12
Hi all

How do you handle staying under the same roof while divorcing.
user 14546274
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 5
I had to stay in the same house for 6 months. I thought it was completely insane. I basically worked then went to my room. It felt like I was a prisoner. I only came out when he wasn't home. He did go out quite a bit with the girlfriend so I did get to come out sometimes. I finally gave up and said I don't care if the house goes to foreclosure I'm leaving. Luckily we were able to sell the next month not that he made that easy either. I just want you to realize that it's all good for them. He has a place to stay. He doesn't care about you anymore so he doesn't even see that it's devastating to you. Don't make it too easy for him. It will take that much longer for the divorce to go through. Once it's done. He has no say in your life. He has no right to even come into the house.
Aurora, IL
Post #: 1
I am in the same situation. My soon to be ex travels and only comes home a couple days a month. He was home at Thanksgiving and I let me stay so he could be with the kids. It was soooo hard. He just acted like everything was normal- except texting and talking on the phone to his girlfriend in front of me!!! He will be here for Christmas. My oldest and her husband do not want to see him, my other two didn't care if he was there or not. I just don't think I can handle it, but I feel bad for the kids to only see him for a little while. But i also feel like he chose the girlfriend over us, so why should he get to be with the family he tossed aside. We are trying to do the divorce with only one attorney to save money, but he threatens to make things difficult and get his own attorney if things don't go his way. So I'm trying to play nice to get this over with. I was also a stay at home mom and just started back to work full time, so I can't do anything until I recieve allomony. We sold our house this week and he refused to sign the papers, because I didn't deposit $500 into the joint account!!! So I'm afraid of what he will do if I don't let him stay at the house. I feel like I'm stuck in the closet, with no way out. This all sucks!!!
Aurora, IL
Post #: 2
So my soon to be ex insist in staying in the house while he is here at Christmas, even though the kids told him they didn't want him there!!! So I'm leaving for the 4 days. My question is, he wants me to come Christmas Day to have one last family Christmas breakfast together. My oldest won't come to the house and the other two are 19 & 16, so they are full aware of the situation. Do I suck it up and go or am I letting him cake eat??? I will see the kids in the afternoon at my family Christmas. Any thoughts?? Thanks