The West Suburban Divorce Support Group Message Board › JUST STARTING THE DIVORCE PROCESS AND NEED ADVICE

JUST STARTING THE DIVORCE PROCESS AND NEED ADVICE

Denise B
user 9146352
Hinsdale, IL
Post #: 2
My husband and I are trying to mediate- what a nightmare! We do not have a lot to split. some debt( all in my name) and a bit of savings- no house currently- moved 3 states in 9 months due to his job changes. I have no family here.
We have 2 children and we currently are still in the same house on weekends only. UGH- he gets loud and rude and we have not told the children yet.
This process is unreal. I only work 2 days a week. I just started working after 10 years of staying home with the kids.
I am in the Wholesale Fashion Apparel Business and did very well in LA & NY but it is not the same in the Midwest, 10 years later & at 44 yrs old. We have been married 11-1/2 years. I do not even know how much maintenance and duration of maintenance I can get. My daughter is only 4-1/2. The salary here is barely enough to cover day care or babysitting. Does anyone know if I can get 7 years maintenance? My husband thinks I can go out and make $100,000 tomorrow and the sad truth is that I can not make 1/3 of that here in the wholesale fashion world(that doesn't exist). So, he is starting to say I am only going to get 3 years. OMG- that is not enough time. I can not get a good enough job to survive let alone come up to the standard of living I have been accustomed to. I am confused. I have no friends in Hinsdale that are divorced. I really need some advise. I have not retained a lawyer yet. I certainly appreciate any advice. We do not have thousands of dollars for lawyers so.... I need to try to keep it amicable.
Jeff R
user 115551412
Aurora, IL
Post #: 2
Hi Denise
The law in Illinois for child support in non-negotiable. It's 28% of his NET income for 2 kids, 20% for one kid until they are 18 years old. This is an automatic formula, no reduction possible. If his income goes down then it's obviously 28% of something lower.

Please make it a priority to make the November 21 meeting. There you'll meet a whole bunch of great women (a few good guys) that can help you get through this. We all know it's tough but you don't have to tough it alone.

It's November 21 at a restaurant called Traverso's

See you there

Jeff
Mona
user 61913932
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 18
hi Denise,
Laws are in place. However, it is the lawyer who plays the game well, get you your rights. Unfortunately, no one can pre-determine quality of a lawyer. I was/am a homemaker and have 3 kids. I got nothing as per what the law provides. If your former husband doesn't own a business, meaning his income can easily be proven, it is a straight forward case. Please work tenaciously to keep your emotions out and i know i am asking you to do the impossible, but please try.
. We can exchange no.s if you like.
Stevie B
user 8325466
Group Organizer
Oswego, IL
Post #: 13
I had to edit one of the replies. I mention at every Meetup that I cannot allow the posting of websites or the promotion of services in the discussion pages or on the site. PLEASE RESPECT THAT. If you have a recommendation for someone, please do it by private email.
A former member
Post #: 3

Does your husband have an attorney?
Are you mediating through a certified mediator?
Mona
user 61913932
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 19
I had to edit one of the replies. I mention at every Meetup that I cannot allow the posting of websites or the promotion of services in the discussion pages or on the site. PLEASE RESPECT THAT. If you have a recommendation for someone, please do it by private email.
I'm so sorry. I completely forgot about that.