align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The West Suburbs Going Out and Having Fun Group Message Board › Does anyone have experience with Jed's (or anyone else's) dance lessons?

Does anyone have experience with Jed's (or anyone else's) dance lessons?

Robert
Robert1963
Naperville, IL
Post #: 1
First off, I know I wasn't at my most sociable at the Tuesday beginner's salsa lesson. When it comes to activities requiring physical coordination, like dancing, it inevitably brings back memories--very painful memories--of high school gym class. I was routinely the last one picked when teams were chosen, and the teacher routinely humiliated me in front of the entire class. Boy, did that HURT!

That's what I was deathly afraid of: that my stumbling performance would be pointed out to the rest of the class as an example of what not to do. (Not to say that's the instructor's style, and looking back it appears highly unlikely, but that was my fear.) In my mind, activity requiring athletic ability and coordination is strongly associated with the browbeating that I endured in gym class. Therefore, I get totally stressed when trying an activity such as learning a dance, and I was in a highly adrenalized state at the Tuesday meeting. When the instructor moves on from step A to step B to step C, I feel like that constitutes an expectation that a reasonably proficient person should be able to catch on at that pace, and that my failure to catch on at that pace indicates a lack of competency.

This is not the fault of the instructor or anyone else. This is just where I'm coming from. I probably need more intensive instruction than what would have been feasible in a quick overview. I would also need someone with the patience of a saint to deal with my inevitable frequent stumbles, and someone who put me at ease during the struggles associated with the learning curve. It's definitely going far outside the comfort zone but my comfort zone for too long has been the comfort zone of a couch potato, and that's no way to live.

My questions for anyone who's been there:

1. Does anyone (especially anyone with the same struggles that I discussed above) have experience with Jed's mini boot camps, or any other venue of dance instruction, and what kind of experiences did you have?

2. As for the salsa music genre: It's new for me. Picking out the beat from a music style that I'm not very familiar with adds another layer of complexity to what is already a struggle. Could anyone recommend some bands that I should check out to familiarize myself with the music genre?

Thanks,
-Robert1963