This hike brings us to a high end beginner/low end moderate trail in the Minnewaska Preserve/Mohonk Preserve (Ulster County, Gardiner, NY) on Sat, May 18, 2013. I know it is a little far from the Westchester area, but we will arrange carpooling. The hike is an 8.7 mile round-trip loop hike (I know some of you may be scared because of the distance, but it is an easy-moderate hike so the distance will not feel as bad because there aren't many hills and it is mostly flat on old carriage roads). Dogs are allowed on a leash. The hike goes near the beautiful and cascading waterfall Peters Kill and then goes to panoramic viewpoints where you can clearly see the Catskills Mountains. For those who want to see pictures from the last time we did this hike, you can find them at
After the hike, for those interested, we will go to a local restaurant for dinner. After that, we may explore the beautiful New Paltz area.
For those coming, I suggest wearing clothes you will be comfortable in (if it is cold, you may want to wear layers that you can take off as we get moving). Also, it's recommended to bring a backpack, 2 liters of water, chapstick, sunscreen (especially if you burn easily), bug/tick spray, and a small trail sandwich/lunch to enjoy at our resting spot.
We'll meet at 11:15 AM (you must arrive on time because we will leave exactly at 11:15 AM to begin the hike) at the Awosting parking area (the first right onto Old Minnewaska Trail after you pay the entrance fee). Driving directions are below. I estimate the hike and small trail snack will take a total of six hours.
My cell phone number is[masked]
If anyone wants to carpool, I'll be coming from Rutherford, NJ (I live right across the street from the Rutherford Train Station) and would be willing to drive a little out of the way to carpool. I also can pick people up from the Palisades Center Mall in West Nyack, NY so that we can all carpool.
Driving Directions from the Westchester Area:
Go North on either Route 9 North or the Taconic State Parkway until Route 84 West. After crossing the bridge over the Hudson River, continue on Route 84 West for 3/4 or 0.75 miles. Take Exit 10S for NY-32 toward US-9W S/Newburgh. At the end of the ramp, make a left onto NY-32 North/North Plank Road. Go 3 miles and then make a right at the Sunoco Gas Station onto NY-32 North. Go 9.2 miles and then make a left onto NY-55 West/U.S. 44 West/Main Street. Go 2.4 miles and then follow the road to the right to turn onto NY-55 West/US 44 East/Main Street. Go a total of 9.4 miles on this road (follow Route 44/55 as it negotiates a very sharp hairpin turn and climbs to pass under the Trapps Bridge (a steel overpass). Continue for about three miles past the Trapps Bridge to the entrance to Minnewaska State Park Preserve, on the left side of the road). Where we are parking is the second parking lot entrance (most likely the first entrance will be closed). If only the first parking lot entrance is open, you can go in there and make your first right to get into the parking lot. Please note that there is a charge of at least $8 per car.
Driving Directions from the New Rochelle Area:
1. Take the Hutchinson River Parkway North to Exit 13.
2. Take Exit 13 to merge onto Cross Country Parkway toward Saw Mill Parkway/Yonkers and take that for 1.9 miles to Exit 5-4 N-S Toward Central Ave/Interstate 87 Thruway.
3. Take Exit 4N for Central Ave toward I-87 North/Thruway.
4. Merge onto Central Park Avenue and then immediately merge onto I-87 North via the ramp on the left to Tappan Zee Bridge/Albany/I-4 North and take that for 73.2 miles to Exit 18.
5. Take Exit 18 for NY-299 toward New Paltz. After paying the toll, keep left at the fork, following signs for Route 299 West and immediately turn left onto NY-299 West/Main Street for 7.4 miles.
6. Continue west through the Village of New Paltz. When you cross the bridge over the Wallkill River at the west end of the village, continue ahead on Route 299 (do not turn right towards the Mohonk Mountain House).
7. In another 5.6 miles (from the Wallkill River bridge), Route 299 ends at a T intersection with Route 44/55. Turn right here and follow Route 44/55 as it negotiates a very sharp hairpin turn and climbs to pass under the Trapps Bridge (a steel overpass). Continue for about three miles past the Trapps Bridge to the entrance to Minnewaska State Park Preserve, on the left side of the road. Where we are parking is the second parking lot entrance (most likely the first entrance will be closed). If only the first parking lot entrance is open, you can go in there and make your first right to get into the parking lot. Please note that there is a charge of at least $8 per car.
You agree when you sign up for this group or any of the events that you have read and understand the below.
If you join us for a hike (or any other event por post-hike events), please understand that you are responsible for your own preparedness and well-being and will hold no one else liable in case of injury or mishap. You agree not to hold the Organizer, Co-Organizers, Assistant Organizers, Event Organizers, or any other members of the group responsible for any injuries, mishaps, or any other situation that may happen at a planned event. You are responsible to research the event, know the area, and bring the proper gear.
Your attendance on a hike signifies that you have read and accept the terms of this liability waiver.
Full waiver can be found on the ABOUT page.