The Wichita Writer's Guild Message Board The Wichita Writer's Guild Discussion Forum › Potential Poetry Meetup

Potential Poetry Meetup

Ken S.
user 33932672
Wichita, KS
Post #: 7
Hello,

I wanted to send out a message and see if there was interest in having a poetry or prose specific meetup. I personally have enjoyed the recent meetups and highly encourage others to attend, however I feel the need to wax poetic and share my thoughts written down on the page, and to hear what others are expressing. This would be an opportunity to come and share what we have written, read, or want to write about in a safe environment.

If you are interested in participating please respond to this message board or send me a message individually if want to keep your passion for poetry private.

I hope to meet soon.

Ken
L W.
user 71101772
Wichita, KS
Post #: 5
Sounds like a great idea!
Ashley M.
user 49191502
Wichita, KS
Post #: 11
This is an interesting suggestion. I suppose the critique-oriented style of meetings we've been using is more conducive to short stories/novels/novellas than poetry. I'd think this would have a lot of pull with the number of poets we've had in meetings. I'm not a poet myself, but I like the idea of having a meeting with a different style to it.

Is there anything you'd like to modify about the current structure of the meetups to make it more poet-friendly? I've been curious myself since I'm interested in the form, but unsure of how to treat it/talk about it in our meetings.
Ken S.
user 33932672
Wichita, KS
Post #: 10
My suggestion is really nothing to do with the current meetup, however poetry writing and sharing is really more conducive to sharing and experiencing, not critiquing. It is honestly very difficult for a poet to be critiqued for what they feel; because that is what poetry is about. I have a thick skin, so I have no problem with it, but I have to laugh at some of the comments that have come from some of the poems I have shared.

I personally love writing, reading, and hearing poetry. Love the interpretations that come to a page, and want to hear what emotions, experiences, or feelings induced such writing. I thought maybe a specific poetry forum would draw interest from the poets; due to the response on my post, it appears I was wrong.