addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Williamsburg Modern Lit Book Club Message Board › Next Book by a Female Author

Next Book by a Female Author

A former member
Post #: 44
I loved the book by Celine - amazing piece of literature and a big influence on subsequent writers.

For our next read, at John's suggestion, by a female author, I suggest Betty Smith's classic autobiographical novel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, It takes place in Williamsburg about 100 years ago, and tells the story of working-class European immigrants from Ireland, Poland, Germany and Italy through the eyes of a young girl. You'll recognize the streets and neighborhoods mentioned in the book - Greenpoint, Manhattan Avenue, Lorimer St., etc. It wasn't the Brooklyn of today with its trendy bars and cafes; it was a working-class place populated by immigrants who struggled to make a better life for themselves and their offspring.

Another candidate in the way of female authors is Carson McCullers' The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, a tale of the south in the pre-war era. It tells of the heartache and struggle of people who sought to break out of the economic and racial oppression of the day. This was McCuller's first novel, written at the age of 23, and it is a profoundly moving story of several characters whose actions to escape their dire circumstances ultimately lead to their own destruction.

Those are my suggestions, and I'm stickin' to them. :)
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks for the suggestions, Tony. I've been meaning to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for a long time now, but McCuller's seems super interesting as well. I'd love to discuss one of these at a meeting.
A former member
Post #: 1
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter sounds really interesting. (I've already read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but can read it again.)

If we're looking for a book by a female author, I've been meaning to read Mrs. Dalloway forever. Would anyone be up for that?