The World Affairs Discussion Group Message Board › New Meetup: The World Affairs Discussion Group May Meetup

New Meetup: The World Affairs Discussion Group May Meetup

John Van P.
JohnVP
London, GB
In honor of Mother's Day the meeting is changed to Sunday, May 17, at the usual time (4PM).

Our topic for May:

Trade barriers - do they protect jobs and grow an economy? Can they be used to protect the environment? Would reducing or removing all trade barriers provide a more prosperous and peaceful world?

Thanks to Jim McDaniel for proposing this topic.

By coincidence, I am currently reading a highly entertaining history of world trade, from the beginning of the human race through to the present: "A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World" by William J. Bernstein. I recommend this book to people interested in putting world trade into historical perspective. If the group wants I will provide a brief book report.

As usual...

All views and political orientations are welcome.

I have limited attendance to 14 max as we are meeting in an eatery where it is not possible to reserve space. Meeting will be canceled if fewer than 5 sign up.

If you sign up and change your mind, please change your reply so that someone else may attend.

Meetup to last 1.5 hours (until 5:30 PM) although, of course, people are welcome to continue beyond that point.

You are encouraged to post your own comments and questions on the group's web site prior to the meeting.

I look forward to seeing you for another stimulating discussion!

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­