addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The World Affairs Discussion Group Message Board › What is a terrorist?

What is a terrorist?

John Van P.
JohnVP
Marbella, ES
Post #: 28
Before we can discuss terrorism it might be helpful to have a definition of a terrorist or terrorism. I propose the following: A terrorist entity is a violent non-state actor (person or group) that has a political agenda and that allows and even encourages attacks upon civilians.
A former member
Post #: 81
Before we can discuss terrorism it might be helpful to have a definition of a terrorist or terrorism. I propose the following: A terrorist entity is a violent non-state actor (person or group) that has a political agenda and that allows and even encourages attacks upon civilians.

The difference between a terrorist and a military is just size and their budget. Otherwise the outcome is nearly identical.
John Van P.
JohnVP
Marbella, ES
Post #: 33
Jesse,

In an abstract sense you are right, i.e., both apply force to obtain an end.

However, at present we are at war with people who use terrorism as a tactic. Therefore, it is in our self-interest to understand terrorism and the mindset of terrorists.