The Atlanta Wine Meetup Message Board › About the other night ... :<)

About the other night ... :<)

David
user 12655175
Atlanta, GA
January 2, 2013

Let me first take this opportunity to wish all of my friends in the "Atlanta Wine Meetup" a very happy and healthy New Year!

The New Year's Eve party just concluded marks the 13th party that I have thrown at my home since December, 2011, when my renovation was completed.

The vast majority of those parties, in-turn, were provided for the "Atlanta Wine Meetup" group. Likewise, I've been pleased to make my home available for wine meetup events given its size and central location.

Although I have always thrown the parties at my own expense, I decided to make an exception for this New Year's Eve by charging a token $5.00 per head charge to cover the cost of renting stemware, paying my maid to clean up after everyone, ect.

I had 100 people RSVP for the party, which meant that as the responsible host I needed to rent 100 sets of glasses. Thus, after a few exceptions for folks who did not need to pay, we should have ended-up with about $480.00 in the kitty.

Unfortunately, there was a grand total of $218.00 at night's end!

I even saw guests dropping $1.00 bills instead of $5.00s in the jar, and while I had enough class not to confront them at the time (and you know who you are), shame on you!!

Shame also to those who RSVPed and never showed-up (despite my renting stemware for you)! Further, I think that out of the 75 or 80 or showed, I got perhaps a total of 10 "Meetup" (or private) "Thank You"s.

Sorry to vent (this is the first and last time I will do so here), but despite seeing many of my wonderful (and responsible) friends at the party, I think that I (and "Fontainebleau") will take a party break for a while.

If, in the future, I do decide to host another large "New Year's" type party, then please understand that if I  charge a token amount to cover my costs, I may likewise ask that guests pay in advance with no refunds.

I think that will separate the "wheat from the chafe".

Thank you for putting up with my "rant" (smile) and again, a happy new year to one and all! 

David