align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Thayer Glacier, formerly Three Fingered Jack via PCT

  • Sep 20, 2009 · 8:00 AM
  • This location is shown only to members

We tried to scout out the PCT route to 3FJ today but were turned back by fluffy clouds (we've had a bad experience with these before). The hunters on the trail and in the woods near the trail were a little disconcerting as well. So, we'd like to try the Thayer Glacier hike again instead, since we're familiar with this hike. This hike is about 10 miles round trip with around 1,000' elevation gain. Although length and elevation are moderate, I rate this as a difficult hike, because of the hike up the bouldery moraine to the glacier (I promise not to take the steep route this time). This hike starts at the Pole Creek TH near Sisters. By Soap Creek, we head up the unmaintained North Sister Climbers trail, eventually cross Soap creek, and then head overland to the moraine at the base of North Sister. We'll hike up some boulders until we reach a rather magnificent spot by the Thayer Glacier. We'll need good weather for this hike. The glacier is at about 7,600'. As always, please dress appropriately for the weather and bring snacks/water.

Join or login to comment.

  • Rick M.

    A beautiful day with good people. Very technical hike the last half mile up rocks to Thayer Glacier. Being at the base of the North Sister and seeing all the colors in the mountain was amazing.

    September 21, 2009

  • A former member
    A former member

    Fun trip with some nice people

    September 20, 2009

  • Brandon

    That's the spirit! :)

    September 19, 2009

  • Laurel

    Brandon, We'll look at the forecast as we get closer to the weekend. Camp Lake may be a good backup, but if it's raining or snowing, we probably won't hike for too long.

    September 14, 2009

  • Brandon

    And of course after my comment I see the comment about needing good weather. :) So my question still stands then as to if there should be some kind of backup hike.

    September 13, 2009

  • Brandon

    This actually looks better than 3FJ. I am wondering though, considering South Sister was cancelled due to weather if there should be some sort of "backup hike" or can this hike be done rain/snow or shine?

    September 13, 2009

10 went

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy