align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Bend Hiking Group Message Board › UL backpacking principles

UL backpacking principles

A former member
Post #: 62
Hey I would like to know if anyone would be interested in learning about Ultralight backpacking principles and how to shave weight from your pack and so on ?? If you like I could even go over how to make some of your own gear.

I was thinking I could go over the things I have learned over the years to help some of you, some time in the next 1-3 months as most of the hikes wind down as we go into winter.

A former member
Post #: 63
Oh yeah it's not like other people who want money to teach, I just want to help introduce you to Ultralight Backpacking if you would like to learn about how light, cheap and fast you can go.

So if you have thought about or want to learn about backpacking this will be a good way to get real world info and see the Pro's and Con's of the different styles of backpacking like traditional vs ultralight so you can chose what type is best for you.

Covering clothes,footwear,food,shelter,backpacks,­stoves,cookware,sleep bags,water treatment,how to pick a camp site and so on also truths and fallacies.

Karen J
user 12041128
Bend, OR
Post #: 4
I am always searching for new ideas to simplify, streamline and lighten my pack weight. I have changed my equipment quite a bit thus far, and tend to enjoy learning and experimenting with new techniques.
How do you want to share that information- in person or in this format?

Gary H.
user 10065635
Bend, OR
Post #: 1
I would love to learn how to cut some weight. I carry 50 - 55lbs each trip and it is really taking the fun out.
A former member
Post #: 64
Yeah it's been years since I humped that much weight wink I like how much more fun it is to be out hiking without the heavy load to slow you down and make everything hurt mostly as we get older....

I will try to set up a date in the next 2-3 weeks if that works good for you guys ?
A former member
Post #: 65
Saturday Oct 23 at Woodriver Park by the Old Mill under the covered BBQ area and on the lawn at 9am I will have gear for you to check out.

Post up if you will be there if no one does no problem I will just do what I love to do "backpacking" wink

Happy Trails
A former member
Post #: 66
Well 3 people who emailed backed out and no one has posted up so I will not be doing it, But I will be out backpacking so maybe we will cross paths if any of you are out this weekend wink

HYOH
Karen J
user 12041128
Bend, OR
Post #: 5
Travis, Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. My week was crazy and just logged back in to see if you were still doing the meetup, since I plan to be in town this weekend. I am still interested next time and will follow up better to ensure I don't miss the chance for some gear talk.
Karen J
user 12041128
Bend, OR
Post #: 6
Hey Travis, how about reviewing the gear you would take snow camping? It would be interesting to see what modifications you have made to lighten your winter pack.
A former member
Post #: 70
Karen, No problem here is a short list of things I have to chose from on any of my trips.

Backpack:
Kelty day pack 39oz 2200 CI
ULA Fusion 32oz 3500 CI
my own, 17oz 3200 CI

Shelter:
My own, 1 person SilNylon tarp 9oz + a 5.5oz bug bivy
My own, 2 person SilNylon tarp 15oz plus 3oz ground cloth
My own, 2 person tarp 25oz plus 3oz ground cloth
Mountain hardware 4 season 2 person tent 5lb

Sleeping Bag:
REI kilo plus 0 deg 38oz (down)
REI Sub kilo 20 deg 24 oz (down)