The Bend Hiking Group Message Board › UL backpacking principles

UL backpacking principles

Karen
user 12041128
Bend, OR
Post #: 7
Which tent do you use winter camping-the Mountain Hardware tent or do you ever use just a tarp?

Have you had any success using an alcohol stove in the winter or do you use the pocket rocket?

Do you use the aircore pad in the winter? If so, do you add a thin layer of closed cell foam to block the cold?

A former member
Post #: 72
I have not needed the Mountain Hardware tent yet the only reason I bought it was because it was $30 the guy had only used it two times and he got wet as it is a Alpine only type as it has a breathable fabric shell. the guy was not happy that he sold a $600 tent for $30 after only being used two times

So I use a tarp all year and so far the most amount of overnight snow fall was 16" and I was fine.

Yes the Alcohol has been fine down to 5 deg (I have not used it in lower temps) but I use my MSR pocket rocket most of the time just because it has faster boil times but on longer trips the Alcohol stove as it works out better.

Yes I use my 2/3 length aircore all year and no other pad, how ever I do have a Z-rest sit pad that I use on snow trips and then I will use it under my feet on those trips to help.

I spent many years of wittling down my gear list to a close to bare minimum that works for me. Something I learned many years ago while doing Survival training was "if you have the Know-How you will never be cought without what you need" and I spent more than a few days/nights cold,wet,hot,hungry and needing water but I'm still kicking because I know my limits and always have a "plan B".

Karen
user 12041128
Bend, OR
Post #: 8
I have lots of further questions regarding your system, especially for winter. I would be interested in going into more depth via conversation or if you want to do a gear review like you previously considered.