Animal Activist & Social Events (The Humane League NYC) Message Board › Course for NYC Teachers about Animal welfare/Rights, Human Rights & Envi
New York, NY
HUMANE EDUCATION P-COURSE. Spring 2014 Semester
Learning About Animal Welfare/Rights, Human Rights and Environmental Issues
This course has been designed for teachers of students reading at a
pre-kindergarten to grade 6 level but can be adapted for students reading at other levels, through grade 12, with a focus on literacy and science.
UFT Humane Education Committee and Humane Education Advocates Reaching Teachers (HEART) will offer a 36-hour NYC DOE After School Professional Development Program (ASPDP) P-course for teachers on eight Saturdays in the Spring 2014 semester. Participation in the course qualifies toward 3-credits towards a salary differential or a maximum of 36 hours professional development credit. Learn to enhance student science and literacy skills while increasing knowledge of humane topics, including Jane Goodall and chimpanzees, companion animals, wildlife, farmed animals, humane literature, human rights and environmental issues. There will be MANY OUTSTANDING FREE MATERIALS PROVIDED AS WELL AS THREE EXCITING FIELD TRIPS (see schedule). The ASPDP course fee is $125. There will be a $25 materials fee payable at the first session of the course.
You can register for “Promoting Success in Science and Literacy Through Humane Education” at http://schools.nyc.go... ASAP but no later than Friday, February 28. We are listed under English Language Arts and Science on the Online Catalog of Courses ASPDP page. For additional information call Sheila at 212-410-3095.
1. Overview of Course, Jane Goodall and the Chimpanzees, Infusing Humane Education Into
Literacy Programming (March 1, 2014) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
2. Developing Science Skills through Bird Watching, Field Trip (March 8, 2014) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
3. Companion Animal Welfare, Mid-Term Proposal Requirements, Session at Animal
Haven (March 15, 2014) 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
4. Human Rights, Presentation of Mid-term Proposals (April 5, 2014) 9:30 am to 3:30 pm
5. Humane Literature (April 12, 2014) 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
6. Wildlife, Environmental Education (April 26, 2014) 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
7. Chartered Bus Trip to Woodstock Animal Sanctuary (May 3, 2014) 9:15 am - 5:15 pm
8. Service Learning, Final Project Presentations May 17, 2014) 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
TOTAL TIME: 36 hours, 6 hours of absence permitted.