Think Act Change NYC Message Board › What's on your Changemaker Reading List?

What's on your Changemaker Reading List?

caroline
user 9826276
New York, NY
Post #: 2
"I have a dream" by Rashmi Bansal contains stories from 20 Indian social entrepreneurs with the common goal to do good and how they overcame their challengers to start, fund and run their organization. These inspiring stories show that with the right intentions, your ideas to change the world can thrive and become a reality.

Kashimir
user 72475312
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Oh, thank you! I was looking to read something about non-proft entrepreneurship in the East and I am happy you recommended.
Walter S.
user 44631772
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Well, of course, I would include my own book, THE COMING GLOBAL COALESCENCE -- How Powerful Evolutionary Forces Are Transforming Seven Billion Individual Humans Into a Single Harmonious Social Organism. Obviously, it's about change-making and I invite you to have a look. You can read it or download it free on my website: www.thecoalescence.net.

Peace
()>)(
Christopher P.
cpelham
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 51
This one was recommended by our last meetup speaker, Eileen Flannigan from Kiva:

The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap Between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World
by Jacqueline Novogratz

https://www.goodreads...­

The Blue Sweater is the inspiring story of a woman who left a career in international banking to spend her life on a quest to understand global poverty and find powerful new ways of tackling it.
Christopher P.
cpelham
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 52
A couple of books that have transformed my own thinking in the past year are

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
by Jared Diamond

Why has the modern world been so dominated by Eurasian cultures? Diamond conducted profound, amazing, ground-breaking interdisciplinary research to find the answers. Hint: Europeans and Asians have no genetic advantages. It turns out all their advantages came from their environment. This is earthshakingly important for undoing racist attitudes and understanding what kinds of obstacles peoples in other parts of the world are still facing. To change the world, we have to understand it. This book should be read by everyone.

Debt: The First 5,000 Years
by David Graeber

Here anthropologist David Graeber presents a stunning reversal of conventional wisdom. He shows that for more than 5,000 years, since the beginnings of the first agrarian empires, humans have used elaborate credit systems to buy and sell goods—that is, long before the invention of coins or cash. It is in this era, Graeber argues, that we also first encounter a society divided into debtors and creditors.

Graeber shows that arguments about debt and debt forgiveness have been at the center of political debates from Italy to China, as well as sparking innumerable insurrections. He also brilliantly demonstrates that the language of the ancient works of law and religion (words like “guilt,” “sin,” and “redemption”) derive in large part from ancient debates about debt, and shape even our most basic ideas of right and wrong. We are still fighting these battles today without knowing it.

Debt: The First 5,000 Years is a fascinating chronicle of this little known history—as well as how it has defined human history, and what it means for the credit crisis of the present day and the future of our economy.