Think Act Change NYC Message Board › "Bag IT" Post screening action points

"Bag IT" Post screening action points

caroline
user 9826276
New York, NY
Hi Changemakers,
Thanks for attending the screening of "Bag IT" last Saturday. It was amazing to see so many of you engaged with the discussion about how to tackle this problem on an individual level and government level, with a little more thought I really believe we can tackle the plastic issue, starting with bags in NY State first.
If you are interested in following this movement, I recommend visiting plasticbaglaws.org which is lead by Jennie R. Romer who recently became the Atlantic Region Director of the Clean Seas Coalition - which is part of the west coast force whom are behind the successful push for single-use bag ordinances in California.
Some helpful tips from plasticbaglaws.org include:
For individuals the first thing we can do is to simply use less plastic bags, this means:

• Don’t take a bag when you’re only purchasing one or two items
  • Bring a reusable bag to the store whenever you shop
  • Encourage your friends to do the same

Also, as individuals you can encourage more wide-spread support of plastic bag reduction by:

• Learning about the harms that plastic bags cause – and telling your friends
  • Encouraging local businesses to switch from plastic bags to 100% recycled paper bags
  • Contacting your city council to encourage them to adopt a local plastic bag ban or fee
  • Attend a hearing on a local plastic bag law and express your support!

Sign petition on change.org:
https://www.change.or...­

Thanks and see you at our upcoming the next Think Act Change Events!
Aug 3 - Black and Gold - Truth about the international coffee trade
Aug 10 - Half the Sky - A movement to flip the oppression of women globally and boost empowerment globally
Caroline
PS. If anyone is interested in volunteering at any upcoming events or have a suggestion for an event topic please send me an email thinkactchangenyc@gmail.com