Think Act Change NYC Message Board › NEXT STEPS: Half the Sky - Simple Action Items
New York, NY
Thank you for attending the screening of Half the Sky.
I am sure you would agree that the documentary was very powerful and moving - but let's not stop there. The purpose of Think Act Change is not to just be momentarily inspired to act, then move back to thinking about our daily lives but to actually inspire REAL change.
Here are a few simple things you can do to:
1. Stay up to date with the Half the Sky Movement on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+ and youTube. I find this to be one of the easiest ways to raise awareness in your social network just by sharing the stories of women and organizations who are driving change.
2. Read Half the Sky the book by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.
I highly recommend reading the book. It provides in depth history of the countries featured and the facts on core issues raised in the film; maternal mortality, gender-based violence, sex trafficking and forced prostitution, economic empowerment and the value of educating women and girls. You can pick up one from Amazon.com for as low as $12-13.
3. Donate directly or fundraise to one or more of the 32 great organizations Half the Sky partner with on crowdrise.com/halftheskymovement or lend money through kiva.org/team/empowering_women
4. Volunteer and learn more locally about how YOU can help fight literacy inequality and modern sex slavery
- Room to Read: NYC chapter
- Polaris Project
5. Host a screening of Half the Sky
Not as hard as you think! If I can do it, SO CAN YOU!
Finally, the one statement in the documentary which resonated with me most was that "most of us have won the lottery in life and because of this, we have some moral obligation to give back".
PS. If you are genuinely interested in fundraising to build a school and can commit the time to do so, let me know!
Edited by caroline on Aug 11, 2013 11:28 PM