Welcome to the Toastmasters Evanston MeetUp page. We're thrilled that you share a desire to improve your communication and leadership skills!
Toastmasters Evanston (or TME) Frequently Asked Questions:
• First and third Mondays of each month*.
*Note: There are occasional exceptions (most notably in May, July and September due to holidays). If you log into this MeetUp group page, you can confirm the next meeting date, or you can check the date listed at the top of the TME home page here.
• Meeting Time: 6:00pm - 7:15pm
• The meeting is called to order promptly at 6:15P and usually lasts about an hour.
The Celtic Knot Public House - In "The Snug" (back party room).
626 Church Street, Evanston, IL 60201 (Map)
Metered parking available on-street or in library lot (east side of library). Garage parking one block east.
What Can I Expect At A Meeting?
A supportive, positive environment and friendly people are hallmarks of TME.
Upon arrival you'll have a short time to meet club officers, other members, and get settled in/ turn off noise-making devices before the meeting begins.
The agenda features:
• Prepared speeches - Members, who've signed up in advance on the TME website, deliver speeches based on objectives in the Toastmasters manuals.
• Table Topics - Audience members are chosen for impromptu speaking on a variety of subjects.
• Evaluations - Members recognize positive aspects of prepared speeches, as well as areas for improvement. (Notecards are provided for attendees to jot down feedback for speakers.)
Additional Meeting Roles are integral to each TME meeting as well.
How Can I Join TME?
As A Guest
All Toastmasters meetings share similar elements, but each club has its own unique feel and cadence. We invite you to visit TME a time or two as a guest to make sure the club is the right fit for you.
As a guest, you can simply observe, or you're welcome to speak during the 'Table Topics' portion of the meeting if you're interested in jumping in right out the gate.
To attend TME as a guest, RSVP through this MeetUp page, or just drop in at The Celtic Knot for our next meeting (although we appreciate the RSVP!)
Club officers will be available before and after TME meetings to answer any membership questions.
As A Member
How To Apply
• Membership applications are available at TME meetings or here.
(For first line of the application: Club # is 2954438; Club Name: Toastmasters Evanston; Club City: Evanston).
• Membership costs are a combination of fees paid to Toastmasters International (TI) and our local club, Toastmasters Evanston (TME)*.
• The New Member start-up cost ranges between $64 and $70 (depending on prorated dues). A renewal of $50 is then paid at the beginning of the next membership period (April or October), and every six months thereafter.
Start-Up Fee Breakdown:
• $20 - Toastmasters International (TI) One Time New Member Fee (line #1 of Fee section on app.) provides you with the start-up kit that includes two speech manuals - the Competent Communication (CC) and Competent Leadership (CL) handbooks. Fee also includes new member processing.
• $30 to $36 - Toastmasters International (TI) Membership Dues (line #2 of fee section on app.) Membership periods are from April to October/October to April (with renewals collected in March and September, respectively). First-time dues payment is prorated depending on the month you join in the six-month cycle, so you'll pay somewhere between $30 and $36. You can find the month you're joining and the corresponding TI dues amount at the bottom left side of the application here.
• $14 - Toastmasters Evanston (TME) Club Dues - This fee goes towards our individual club's administrative/ meeting space costs.
• Add the total TI costs with the TME club dues amount in the shaded gray box on the lower right side of the application. ("Club New Member Fee" stays blank) and you'll have your final start-up payment**.
Complete your application along with your check made out to "Toastmasters Evanston", and submit to the club treasurer or president.
*Note: Toastmasters can be members of multiple clubs, however all fees apply for each individual club. Memberships are not transferable.
**Check or cash are the only forms of payment currently accepted.
If you have further questions, click the 'Contact Us' link under the "Main Menu" banner on our club website here - otherwise, we look forward to seeing you at an upcoming TME meeting!
President, Toastmasters Evanston