addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Toledo Whole Food Nutrition Message Board › Paleo Diet

Paleo Diet

A former member
Post #: 15
Kris this is what I intended to convey...that I work with a health practitioner by testing and reviewing to see what does work for me. An interesting idea is that when apes, the original "raw fooders", evolved and their brains increased in size the early humans (through discovery) began to cook their food, hence their diet became more varied including the ability to digest better. An apes digestive system is built to digest raw plants etc..raw broccoli for me personally is problematic unless I use digestive enzymes, so I prefer to steam it. This is just an example I took from Richard, who has researched the Paleolithic diet extensively. He and I deviate on occasion when we eat out, or are at someone's home, and even our fat intake includes 90% chocolate because we love it! I am still learning and still discovering what is best for my body, and it is slowly paying off.
Kris J.
user 6600705
Group Organizer
Williston, OH
Post #: 24
Broccoli is in the cabbage family, along with brussel sprouts and kale. Eating too much of them raw can be a problem. The digestive system of apes is quite different from ours, which is why they can eat lots of raw leafy stuff. There an interesting article on the cabbage family here
http://www.westonapri...­
A former member
Post #: 16
smile Ok Thank for the link
Bob A.
Bob_Avery
Toledo, OH
Post #: 7
Long but informative brassical article, Kris. I've eaten as many as 9 heads and stalks of broccoli in a day -- raw. One of my favorite foods. Never had a problem with iodine. TSH always in normal range.
A former member
Post #: 18
Mr Avery...my own personal needs dictate what I can and can't eat without issues. I do what I need to, and unlike you I lack digestive enzymes...my gall bladder was Zero functioning, and now my pancreas and liver have to take over. I also take an enzyme with Ox Bile...it does the trick, but I still have difficulty with raw broccoli. I also have low HCL acid...it's just me. My thyroid is a mess from years and years of toxicity from heavy chlorine. I was a competitive swimmer and it damaged my thyroid. That's that!
Chad J.
user 35507222
Sylvania, OH
Post #: 5
Enough talk, let's schedule a meetup. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 19
Hahaha...I'm finally in Ohio, although my "stuff" is still in San Antonio, so I am a little unsettled. There is a meet-up/Paleo based luncheon on Oct 12th? at a member's house. I need to get that date double-checked.
A former member
Post #: 20
Ok...there is enough interest from people all over these Meet-Up boards to start a Paleo Lifestyle focused group. There is a link to a luncheon we are having to discuss this on October 12th. I feel we should begin these Meet-Ups with guest speakers who can answer questions and provide good info whether from experience or expertise, or both. I haven't been in the Toledo area for almost 2-years so it would be great to rally and look around for someone to invite...Kris your input would be valuable, too...to provide expertise on nutritional pros and cons. I would appreciate any guests speakers to be mindful of the opinions and expertise of the others invited. It would really be a good way to begin.

http://www.meetup.com...­
A former member
Post #: 22
Oh now why can't we all just get along??? This is someone I follow on Facebook: Aglaée the Paleo Dietitian
The "war" between the WAPF (Weston A Price Foundation) and the Paleo community is not about to end unfortunately... After their harsh "critique" of the Paleo diet in their latest issue, they're now attacking RobbWolf.com's Paleo Solution book in the Fall 2013 issue.

Why? I love both the WAPF and the Paleo diet. I think everyone can learn a lot from both of these sides. There is NO need to fight. This makes me very sad because we should all unite to help people go back to eating REAL food again. I agree!

If you're not quite sure what the difference is between the WAPF and Paleo diet, read my post about it: http://www.eat-real-f...­.