Toledo Whole Food Nutrition Message Board › Paleo Group

Paleo Group

A former member
Post #: 23
Greetings! I decided to use FB to my advantage and rally some Paleo enthusiasts who are very interested in this lifestyle. I would love to invite you to get involved, and Kris...I would love to have your expertise by inviting you to be a part of the first gathering I can arrange. It's just in its infancy, but I am dedicated to a healthy lifestyle, and your input would be fair and thought provoking for the newbies.

My partner, Richard, commented on an article I sent him. He's hard core Paleo but gave kudos to Weston-Price calling him 'genious', but not so much to his foundation. Not sure why, but that's not my focus. This link is to the original FB post that caught my attention. She's pro-whole foods. https://www.facebook....­

I shared this ...The "war" between the WAPF (Weston A Price Foundation) and the Paleo community is not about to end unfortunately... After their harsh "critique" of the Paleo diet in their latest issue, they're now attacking Paleo Solution book in the Fall 2013 issue. Why? I love both the WAPF and the Paleo diet. I think everyone can learn a lot from both of these sides. There is NO need to fight. This makes me very sad because we should all unite to help people go back to eating REAL food again. :( If you're not quite sure what the difference is between the WAPF and Paleo diet, read my post about it: http://www.eat-real-f...­.

I encourage anyone here on TWFN to contact me if you are interested or curious...I have had no luck with the Meet-Up route. Kris, I still look forward to actually meeting you!
Kris J.
user 6600705
Group Organizer
Williston, OH
Post #: 25
Hi Michelle,
I'm not clear on what you want me to join. If you arrange to have a meeting about the Paleo diet, I could post it here on TWHN, if you let me know. It's too bad that this bad blood seems to have developed between Sally Fallon and the Paleo folks, though she certainly has some valid points about the most original restrictive Paleo diet. I don't think it's worth arguing about. The fact of the matter is that people have different metabolism and different things work for them. As long as we're talking about whole foods, folks have to figure out what works for them.
A former member
Post #: 25
Hi Kris. I am so sorry. I never received a reply notice! I don't expect you to join anything. What I am doing is just arranging an informal gathering of my friends and family, and their friends and families, etc.. to discuss the Paleolithic diet. I post so much on my FB page of my meals and other resources that people are asking me advice about how to get started. I thought that it would be great to have experts like yourself to weigh in.

I agree wholeheartedly about being mindful that everyone is unique. I embrace these differences. I'd am still figuring out how to get this going, and I am going to ask a friend who owns Plate 21 if we could meet there. I don't anticipate many but I want people to be well informed. I'm going to hit up the universities nearby, and do some digging to find a knowledgeable paleo advocate, too. So, sometime after Thanksgiving I would love to get something together and let it bloom from there.
A former member
Post #: 26
Sooo Kris...I met up with Chad Johnson today, and he thinks your input about fats would be very beneficial. I agree! Fats are HUGE components of the Paleo diet. I am trying to get a head count and a location to gather. Would the UTMC or Maumee/Perrysburg area work for you? I'm thinking 30 mins to present info and 30 to answer questions. This is just a jump start meeting and could turn into a Meet Up group. My number is (832) 470-8375
Kris J.
user 6600705
Group Organizer
Williston, OH
Post #: 26
I'd be happy to join you, but couldn't figure out where to g on Facebook to find out more. I've been having a discussion with another acquaintance who is a Paleo lover, about this silly Paleo/WAPF war. I've concluded that the big difference between the two is that WAPF is a "yes" diet - yes you can eat all kind of delicious whole foods, just get them from good sources and prepare them right and get plenty of good fat. The Paleo is a "no" diet - you can't eat this, this and this. It's actually a diet for healing, trying to avoid foods that are causing problems, just as the GAPS diet, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and several others. In every case they need to be adapted to individual needs, but some of the original Paleo guidelines seem to have been pretty rigid. I've put some Paleo websites up on my website that seem to be more WAPF friendly, though I haven't really studied them. See http://home.roadrunne...­
A former member
Post #: 33
Kris...I looked back over this discussion and there is so much to talk about! Let me first say this...the past 6 months have been complete hell for me. I never saw it coming but I've gotten through it all and this is exactly why I have such an excitement for the future! I am going to call Mr Bennett as I still have his phone number. I apologize for not being able to attend your discussions. I was sick when you had the paleo discussion. After finding a whole underground community of paleo diet followers on FB I had the motivation and support to follow through on that I'd started! I look forward to talking to you and getting caught up.
Kris J.
user 6600705
Group Organizer
Williston, OH
Post #: 29
Sorry you couldn't make it to the Paleo class.These things are so intertwined, you may find it helpful to attend one of the upcoming classes. I'm planning on arranging a potluck this summer. May we can make Paleo a subject for discussion then, as so many people are trying to take that course.
A former member
Post #: 36
I will participate if I can, but now I have the Paleo Meet-Up group to manage, and I would love to have you as a guest speaker! http://www.meetup.com...­