I am so thrilled that so many of you have joined the Tooting Book Club – It’s something I have thought about for a while, and have been interested in for ages.
I was a voracious reader as a child and I’ve never got out of the habit. I’m sure a lot of you will have been the same. I’ve read very widely and read so many different types and genres of book, that I am unsure of what to read now. I feel so inundated with books online, and in magazines etc., that I’m just unsure where to go.
Often, I will pick a highly recommended book from Amazon but find it dull and lacking in plot, humour, without words that make you thrill and then stop to repeat them, or they are just plain wrong. Where am I going wrong? Then I thought that the best thing was to meet other similar people and choose books together.
This is where the book club comes in, where YOU, come in. This is a collective of people that love reading and want to share their love and explore together.
So, at our first meeting all the members made up the rules which are (as simple as possible)–
1. We do a quick vote and points out of 10 for our book choice before the discussion, and again after the discussion – just to see what has changed.
2. We do not put forward Hardback book choices as the cost may be unfair
3. No one will be penalised for not reading the book and all will be encouraged to come to the discussion regardless
4. No one will be penalised for stating their opinion, for having a view, or for asking a ‘stupid’ question as there is no such thing as a stupid question. I will back everyone on this, and ask any question on anyone’s behalf, if they are nervous or unsure.
5. Above all, this is a social group and I hope everyone will be respectful and support eachother.
6. The person that has suggested the book club choices will chair the discussion so no one person is in a position to ‘take-over’.
Lastly, this is a social club, all members are equal, and everyone is entitled to hold their own views and not be pulled up about them. Let’s be respectful out there! I find my views change frequently, with every new ‘view’ I hear, so I’m looking forward to being able to be more discerning, and retain more of my own views, or even get firmer views with more ease, the more I gain knowledge from the book club.
I would also like it to be more of a book swap – so, please try to remember to bring along a favourite book and see what you could get in return.