Toronto Smalltalk User Group Message Board › Immutable data structures for Smalltalk

Immutable data structures for Smalltalk

Adam S.
AdamSpitz
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Just posted the fruits of our work from Monday's meeting:

http://www.smalltalkh...­

Clojure-style immutable data structures for Smalltalk: HashMap, HashSet, Seq, List, Vector, Queue. Also a few simple abstractions for handling mutation in sane ways: atoms, promises, channels.

There's plenty more work left to be done, but I think it's a good start. (And it was a pleasure implementing this stuff in the Smalltalk environment! Last time I did this, it was in flat text files in a crummy language with a terrible debugger.)

Next step: hack Smalltalk's syntax to add Map and Vector literals and destructuring. Also, Dave, you mentioned something about STM - that'd be a good addition to this library. (I implemented Atoms, but it'd be cool to have Refs with proper transactions.) I doubt I'll have time for this stuff myself, though. If anybody wants to take over maintenance of this library, let me know - I'd be glad to hand over the password to the smalltalkhub.com repository.
Aaron
cybernetician
Toronto, ON
Post #: 34
Impressive! I've been learning Clojure (I'm currently about halfway through The Joy of Clojure), so it's interesting to see how immutable data structures and lazy sequences can be added to Smalltalk.