align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Place unknown

  • Needs a date

  • Needs a location

  • Would anyone be interested in forming a co-op and purchasing raw bush in the northern country between North Bay and Timmins? There are still some 160 acres between $30,000 to $70,000 (without plumbing nor electricity nor roads). If there was a spring deal, I could swing $1500 to $2000. As owners we could subdivide and subdivide and subdivide and practice our skills. We do not need a permit to build a ten by ten shed for storing our camping equipment, etc. We could each have a shed and build similiar sheds for our friends and families. I don't think that a business permit for camping would be a requirement as it would fall under a "retreat". Anyone interested?

Join or login to comment.

  • Audrey S

    let's do it

    December 6, 2014

  • Brian

    Yes, interested.

    March 6, 2014

  • A former member
    A former member

    have you considered unorganized townships...parry sound district and nippising are the closest (and still far enough away)...where building restrictions, taxes and hassles can be minimized? i like this concept, am open. thx.

    October 21, 2013

  • Paul

    at this time i can only afford to contribute labour (not even transportation unfortunately, although i do have a driver's licence) but am interested

    March 26, 2013

  • Iris W.

    If property is purchased as a retreat for Survivorlists for educational reasons, etc, the names of ALL purchasers would have to be included on the deed and not just the name of a said 3 - 4 members representing a co-op. The purchase amount could be paid in full (which is the best) or for members without savings, perhaps x amount of dollars to pay for their shares per month or lots could be rented to them by imposing a annual fee to cover the cost of taxes. The banking would be in the name of ALL members and no withdrawals can be made by anyone except in transfering monies as payment for the land. In other words, deposits would be locked in. A long time ago, I, and others, placed money in trust, in the Toronto area, to help purchase a building for the homeless, and the collector disappeared with the purse.

    August 4, 2012

    • shane

      It is important to protect any investment...

      August 8, 2012

  • shane

    Please look in the discussion session under Edenwilde/Wilderhaven. We will visit there shortly to see how the community has formed and options for members to participate!

    August 3, 2012

  • Iris W.

    We also have the subdivison model where up to 30 houses are side by side but the fringe is kept as a roadway. In the north, this does not apply as most Crown Propterties were subdivided into 160 acres approxiamtely. So, if one was interested in a co-op, they would have to be in agreement to allow a road on the outer fringe depending on the size of the lots which could be purchased by shares. Each purchaser would have to do the survey unofficially for sheds but if interested in small cottages ( a future event) an official survey would have to be paid by each owner which is usually about a $1000 plus.

    August 3, 2012

  • Iris W.

    Just in case you do not know the laws pertaining to Crown Properties let me educate you. Some Americans think that they have the rite to pick out a spot & mark it with either a stick or stone to claim it as theirs. That law is from the 1600's. The lot was marked BUT it had to then be registered and taxes would then be paid. It is quite common to run into people that will not allow access to lots behind their lots as they feel that traveling on THEIR property is tresspassing. They themselves are breaking the law. The King's law, has always been in place which means that the King, his army or police could travel on the outskirts. Thus, you will see on maps large farms with the fringes belonging to the King or the government which is from thirty to a hundred feet roadway.

    August 3, 2012

Want to go?

Join us!

1 going

  • Iris W.

    Hi again. I live in Toronto

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy