Toronto Writers Group Message Board › being a first time writer, how do you get your book published?

being a first time writer, how do you get your book published?

Samreen
user 90939212
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
I am writing a book for the first time. Now that I am done with my manuscript, I need to know the next step. I have googled a lot and different people have different opinions. Few say, we need to get an editor ( a professional one who'd charge fortunes) and then provide your work to a literary agent. But then, the agents don't welcome first timers. So you are back to square one. The other option is self-publishing. There are many platforms like Amazon who provide self publishing option but before that, how would you know your book is good enough for the readers. So for that you still need critic reviews or professional advise. Now here comes a tricky part, you just cant trust someone and send your complete manuscript for evaluation, can you? This is a giant ocean and there are dolphins (real editors) as well as sharks (fake editors). How do i differentiate b/w a dolphin and a shark?
So my writer friends, I need advise - a sincere one. Thank you!
Bill B.
user 77084992
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
i'm in the same boat as you. Recently I went with Xlibiris. Then they did not work out so well(they tried to charge me for their errors).

Last week I went onto lulu.com and paid 50 dollars to have my work objectively analyzed for content (NOT PROOFREAD) so it could be compared objectively to other books of its kind. The report was very insightful and provided a view of marketability rather than sale-ability. Self publishers rely on sale-ability, which means it's up for sale but NO one knows about it being there. Marketability is so much more vital because you have to target an audience that is most likely to buy your book.

I haven't chosen a publisher for hardcopy production yet but have published my book as an ebook(only) on Kobo at zero cost. Lulu.com offers the same but offers no copy protection. I have also noticed that many self-publishing companies are competitive in pricing varying from $500 to $4000. The thing is to publish for as little as possible for high quality while using your hard earned cash for marketing. I am taking my time and searching. Also there are writing contests that award publishing rewards if you win. The best contests are free. Happy hunting!