Toronto Bike Meetup Message Board › Sunday's Laura Secord Ride - Info

Sunday's Laura Secord Ride - Info

Donald S.
dfs_toronto
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Hi all. It looks like the weather is going to be good on Sunday. Here's some stuff to know about the ride.

At the bottom of this message I've put a link to a Google Map of our ride and places of interest on it. Please take a good look at it, especially if you're a faster rider who might want to go ahead of the main group. It's going to be a big group, and I would like to keep it together as much as possible, which usually means the average pace will be slower than some of you would like (I'd like it to be in the 18 - 22 km/hr range). If you want to go ahead, it's your responsibility to find the group again later so you might want to print out the map yourself.

The GO train leaves Union Station at 9 AM, but we all have to buy our tickets and get our bikes on board. I've notified GO that a large bike group will be coming so they say they will be on the lookout for us. Note that this does NOT mean they are holding bike spaces for us, it's still first-come first-served, but there should be an attendant to help get all the bikes stowed. I'd recommend that people get to Union by 8:30 AM to give you time to get everything done and make sure you get a place.

If you were planning on getting on at another station [your options are Exhibition (9:06), Port Credit (9:18), Oakville (9:29), and Burlington (9:40)] please let me know.

We should get to Niagara Falls at about 11:05 AM if everything is on time, and the plan is to do the ride and head back on the 7:20 PM train. I've got a good place picked out for dinner beforehand with a patio where we can keep an eye on all our bikes (please bring a lock so we can lock all our bikes together). There will be places along the way we get get water and a snack, but please bring a lunch and some snacks with you as well, there are some nice parks and such we'll probably be stopping at for rest breaks.

And bring water! There are definitely going to be stretches where there's no convenient place to get water, so bring a bottle and refill it where you can.

The ride should be in the 55 - 60 km range, depending on little side trips we may take time-depending (I would like to stop at the Welland Canal Museum for a break, especially if we have a chance to see a ship go thru the lock). The final stretch on Lundy's Lane can be busy, so we may take a longer (but quieter) way around.

Any other questions, let me know. See you Sunday!

Donald Simmons

Map of Ride:

https://maps.google.c...­