May 3 · 5:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
This hike is rated VERY DIFFICULT!
Join us for a special trip to Arizona's most famous outdoor location, the Grand Canyon! We'll enjoy three days (and two nights) of camping on the south rim at Mather Campground, with a full day hike to Plateau Point with beautiful views of the Canyon and Colorado River via the Bright Angel Trail.
Friday 3rd May 2013:
- Drive to Mather Campground on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We have Group Campsite #5.
- Set up camp
- Communal dinner at campsite. Some sort of pasta dish so we are all "carbed up" for the hike. Bring your own beverage of choice and an appetizer or dessert to share. If you have special dietary needs or preferences please let us know in your response.
Saturday 4th May 2013:
- Breakfast (bring your own favorite - we'll have hot water for coffee, tea, chocolate etc.)
- Leave campsite around 7:30 to catch shuttle to Bright Angel Trailhead
- Start down Bright Angel Trail around 8:00 - 8:15.
- Hike to Indian Gardens. Water and restrooms available at 1.5 mile house, 3 mile house, and Indian Gardens. We will stop for a short rest at Indian Gardens.
- Hike to Plateau Point and back.
- Lunch at Indian Gardens
- Hike out up the Bright Angel Trail
- Showers are available at the campground
- Dinner at one of the lodges (to be determined)
Sunday 5th May 2013:
- Break camp - leave by 11am
- Drive back to Phoenix (lunch at brewpub in Flagstaff?)
- This is a camping trip! Although not encouraged, if you want to stay at a hotel or drive up the morning of the hike, that's your business. However if you do so, do not RSVP for this event as you will take up a campground space from someone who wants it. However, please let us know if you plan on joining us at the Trailhead for the hike itself. However, please bear in mind that we will limit the number of hikers in our group to be sure of a safe and environmental friendly experience!
- This is also a hiking trip! In order to accompany us you must be fit enough to do the hike as described below. Preference is given to members who regularly attend our events and have demonstrated the requisite level of hiking ability. We reserve the right to suggest that hikers who cannot demonstrate capability to finish this type of hike NOT attend! Let us know what you have done before.
- The campground is drive-up car camping, however only two cars are allowed to park at the immediate campsite at any time. You must drop off your stuff and park nearby. We'll figure it out on-site and walk or shuttle-car from the larger parking areas as necessary.
- The fee covers the campsite and a communal dinner on Friday night. No, there is no discount if you skip the communal meal. There are NO refunds if you cancel your trip.
- We're also asking people to bring some item to share. You can contribute salad, dessert, firewood, propane, or other items. Mention in your RSVP what you'd like to bring.
- Tents, sleeping bags, hiking gear, etc, and all other meals are your responsibility. Camping equipment may be rented from REI and elsewhere if needed.
- Overnight average temperatures on the rim can drop 20+ degrees and get quite cold. This time of year, be prepared for mid to lower thirties at night and daytime highs on the rim average sixty to seventy. The bottom will be quite hot during our visit! And there is always the possibility of rain. As the date gets close, you can see the actual weather forecast here. Pack and dress in layers accordingly.
DISTANCE: ~ 9.5 miles roundtrip
ELEVATION GAIN: ~ 3000 ft!
DURATION: ~ 10 hours (time for lunch at Indian Gardens)
TRAIL STYLE: In-and-out
DOGS: NO, pets are not allowed by the NPS into the canyon.
FACILITIES: Bathrooms and water
CARPOOL LOCATION: We'll meet at the McDonald's parking lot at the intersection of Carefree Highway and I17. The address is 3140 W Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ. Park along the wall by the street. Mention in your RSVP if you're going to carpool. We'll leave there by 1:00 pm on Friday afternoon! If you need to leave later, let us know and we'll try to arrange a later carpool too.
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD: Follow the Google map link above to Grand Canyon National Park. Go through the entry gate and follow signs for Mather Campground. Campsite details to be provided later. The entry fees for the park is $25 per vehicle and all passengers. We'll meet starting at 4:00 pm on Friday night!