Updated: January 2, 2015
Membership fees (dues)
$10 join fee + $3 /year
Free two-week trial membership. Then, $10 cash join fee after active trial membership, plus $3 cash/year due the 31st of January, to renew every year.
"Generations and community running together in nature."
Welcome trail runners!
Schedule in 2015
Our regular weekly morning group trail runs take place on:
• 6 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Berkeley, and 10 AM on Sundays (easy) in Oakland or Berkeley.
• Other runs take place in Oakland and in other areas of the East Bay.
Runners of all paces, including back of the pack runners, and those returning to running from injury, are welcome. Our group is small and limited in size to keep our meets from becoming impersonal, and to maintain an active, consistent roster of members. New member requirement: Ability to run-walk or run at least six miles.
We invite new members of all paces to drop-in and attend meets for a free two-week trial. Join us for weekly morning runs, on hilly, rocky dirt trails.
Trail running group (TRG)
San Francisco bay area, CA
"Generations and community running together in nature"
Discover and learn local trails using maps, with a group! Trail runs typically take place in the East Bay: Redwood, Strawberry Canyon, Tilden, Cesar Chavez parks. We run in darkness, rain, and/or sun.
Regular runs include: weekday morning training runs (5+ miles of trail fartlek, tempo, hill repeats), easy Sundays (~3-7 mi.), and weekend long runs (12 to 30+ mi.) with pace groups as needed. Special runs include: no-drop social runs, Women's, Midsummer Night, and Family Holiday season trail runs.
This is a private group of local, active members of various speeds, ages, and abilities. Our active members are family, friends, and neighbors. Members know their own limits and respect them, and practice Leave No Trace. Members participate in-person and train consistently for trail events, 5Ks to ultras (e.g., trail races by Inside Trail Racing, Brazen Racing, The North Face Endurance Challenge, American River 50, etc.). We also occasionally list cross-training meets (e.g., yoga) that support performance and overall well-being.
This is not a coached group. This group's events, organized by unpaid volunteers, are for people who love nature, running on our local East Bay trails, and community.
• Safety first! Bring water, fuel, headlamp, map, and other items if required for a meet, for the safety and enjoyment of the group.
• Ability to run or run-walk at least six miles.
• Submit a clear headshot photo, with an unobstructed view of your face.
• Trial period: Trial members must attend meets (at least one non-race) during the free trial period if they wish to continue. Site access ends after trial period.
• To retain membership, attend TRG group trail runs (non-races) on a monthly basis and pay dues. Memberships, of those who are inactive for over a month or with unpaid dues, will be deleted without notice.
• Specific fitness or trail race/event goals.
• Runners of all paces are welcome; however, you must be able to run the distance specified for the meet for which you are signed up.
• Ability to navigate using a trail map. Courses will not be marked.
• Self-sufficiency as well as the ability to work well with others.
• Positive attitude.
• Carry your own water and fuel.
• Follow the American Trail Running Association (ATRA) trail etiquette guidelines (including registering/paying for races you plan to run, or volunteering with a race organization to earn free race credit. No "bandits.")
• Wear appropriate trail running attire and shoes.
• You must be age 21 or older.
• You and your guests assume all risk associated with participating in these activities.
• Joining solely with the objective of promoting a business or lurking is prohibited. Please join to run with us!
Submit a clear headshot of yourself, for your profile page prior to joining. For the safety of the group, we must be able to see what you look like. We use these photos to find and identify each other when meeting at trail run sites (especially for meeting new people -- strangers). See organizer photo as an example.
Membership fees (dues)
$10 join fee + $3 /year
Free two-week trial membership. Then, $10 cash join fee after active trial membership, plus $3 cash/year due the 31st of January, of every year. Please contribute the $10 cash join fee to the organizers at a meet. It is due within a month of joining. Each member is responsible for paying his fees on time. Reminders will not be sent.Fees and monthly participation in runs are required to retain and renew membership. These nominal fees help cover the payment for the group's Meetup site (link), for the basic plan rate. Membership fees are non-refundable.
RSVP and removal policy
RSVP if you plan to attend. Guests of family, friends, partners, and strollers (on suitable terrain) are most welcome with an RSVP. If you need to cancel, please change your RSVP online. Like other groups, we have a "three strikes" policy.
Organizers have the right to immediately remove any member from the group without notice for any reason including, but not limited to, the following. The member has three no-shows, does not pay membership fees on time, is inactive for over a month, does not meet requirements, and/or violates Meetup's Terms of Service.
Volunteers take valuable time to prepare and organize these events. This includes: the time and energy spent choosing routes, finding maps, talking to park and race officials, answering questions, emails and calls, etc. Please thank the volunteers. (Healthy post-long run food contributions are always welcome!)
Race and fitness goals
"Join forces. While many runners embrace the solitude of running, numerous studies highlight the benefits of working out with others, including greater satisfaction with exercise, increased motivation to set and reach goals, and greater consistency."
-- The Bliss List, Runner's World
"A race can give you something to focus on, an opportunity to be part of the running community, and a way to celebrate your training." -- Training Tips: Trail Running, Five Tips From Champion Ultrarunner Michael Wardian
Volunteering is a great way to support and help sustain the running community and environment. Members of our group have volunteered for local community events, such as those by: The North Face Endurance Challenge, East Bay Parks, Girls on the Run, Inside Trail Racing, and International-California Coastal Cleanup by the bay trail.
Our motto: "Run, have fun, respect others, and respect nature!"
(Eat, repeat... :)*
Interested? Click on "join." Happy Trails!
* Note: This is not a club or organized training program. It is just a notice of runs some members are planning to do that is sent out to those who might want to join them. By choosing to join them, you agree that you are an adult and are solely responsible for your own decisions and actions, and you voluntarily assume any and all risks associated with participating, including but not limited to, following course directions, falls, contact with other runners, injuries from wildlife or any other injuries, the effects of the weather, the conditions of the roads and trails, traffic on the course, etc. By choosing to join them, you, for yourself and anyone entitled to and on your behalf, waive and release the Trail running group, its organizers, members, and their heirs from all claims or liabilities of any kind arising out of your participation in these events. Thanks.
Berkeley hills, CA (SF in background)
Copyright 2012 -- 2015 Trail running group
This group's event details are available only to members for privacy and safety.
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Sunday, August 2, 2015 10:00 AM
Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:00 AM
Thursday, August 6, 2015 6:00 AM
Sunday, August 9, 2015 10:00 AM
Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:00 AM
Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:00 AM
Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:00 AM
Sunday, August 23, 2015 10:00 AM
Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:00 AM
Monday, February 8, 2016 5:15 PM
I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.
— Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers