7:45am is the Carool time NOT the
break trail time!
We will meet at the Wooly Mammoth Carpool at 7:45am - We will leave lot at 8am sharp - if you are not meeting at carpool please let me know ahead of time
We will break trail at 9AM
Please be considerate and do not cancel prior to 24 hours for any other hiker that might be interested to join the fun.
Trail head information:
The trailhead is at Berthoud Pass which is on mile marker 243 on Highway 40. Berthoud Pass can be reached from the north from Fraser and Winter Park or from the south from Empire. The Empire exit off I-70 is exit 233 for those driving from the south. Park at the now closed Berthoud Pass Ski Resort parking lot. The trailhead is accessed here on the east side of the highway. Highway 40 is open and plowed year round allowing easy year-round access to the trailhead.
RATING: Intermediate+ (strenuous at times)
DISTANCE: 3.6 miles one way
ELEVATION GAIN: About 2200' and 350' loss
SUMMIT ELEVATION: 13,146'
The entire route is above timberline, so beware of thunderstorms and retreat off the ridge if thunder clouds are gathering! From the summit of Colorado Mines Peak, backtrack a short distance to the trail to the north that splits off the service road. This is the trail to Mount Flora. The trail drops about 350 feet to a saddle. The trail continues along the ridge passing intermittedly through tundra and rocks. A few small interesting tarns (glacial ponds) are passed before reaching a false summit at 12,800 feet. There are a few pinnacles along the ridge as well, but the hiking is fairly easy. The summit of Mount Flora is 0.5 mile beyond the false summit. Enjoy the spectacular views in all directions!
Morrison Inn (Rooftop)
301 Bear Creek Ave
Morrison, CO (303)[masked]
1) PLEASE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO OUR GENERAL RULES, PHILOSOPHY AND LIABILITY WAIVER ON THE MAIN PAGE.
*We will make frequent stops to allow people to catch up and make every effort to track your progress, however, we are not responsible for your safety, behavior or whereabouts at any time during an outing. Please use common sense and understand your limitations! This is NOT a race, and we want you to have a safe and rewarding experience
2) BRING EXTRA WATER, as high elevations dehydrate the body at a faster rate.
3) Hiking poles are recommended as they are helpful for some of the steep grades and uneven terrain.
4) Please remember that mountain hiking might mean that we end up spreading out according to our pace and fitness levels. If you do split off ahead from the group, please wait at the summit for most of the members to arrive. If you can not complete the hike and need to turn back, please inform your organizer that you are leaving.
5) IF you run a carpool, or participate in a carpool, please coordinate with each other as to your individual pace and meeting back at the parking lot!
6) Bring a change of shoes for the restaurant.Your feet will thank you!
7) Have fun!!