NOTE : RIGHT NOW IT IS A WAITING LIST - To get started, place yourself on the waiting list and send me an email. The email should convince me that you can do the trip and that you understand you're ultimately responsible for your well-being. You also need to agree to hike as a group. We'll hike around 1.5 mph (both ways). For now, your addition to the wait list indicates only interest in the trip. I'll ask for a commitment to the trip as it grows closer.
This is cross-listed with Colorado Backpackers (and campers).
Years ago, Paul Bunyan dragged his axe through northern Arizona creating a hole that many now call the Grand Canyon. There's also a scientific theory in case you like science stuff.
I have a permit for six people to spend two nights at Bright Angel Campground near the river that runs through it. I would love to share it with folks from Trails and Ales and Colorado Backpackers (and Campers) Meetup Group. This will be my third trip along this itinerary.
The plan (rough outline to be refined as I can):
Leave the Denver area (meeting place TBD) around 7 am on Thanksgiving Day (11/28). Carpool the 700 miles to the south rim of the Grand Canyon where we'll split hotel rooms that night.
Friday morning, we'll hike the South Kaibab trail to Bright Angel Campground. The distance is about 7 miles with net 4800 feet elevation loss.
Saturday is a free day. There's a couple options for day hikes (Clear Creek and North Kaibab as well as shorter loops) from the campground along with a cantina that sells beers at ballpark prices.
We'll hike out early Sunday (probably via the Bright Angel trail - 9.5 miles 4400 feet up) and carpool back to Denver. If the weather holds, we can be back shortly after midnight allowing me to stumble into work Monday morning.
Options - please let me know if they interest you.
- pay a mule $65 (each way for 30 pounds of gear)
- buy meals at the cantina
- shared meals at the bottom
To get started, place yourself on the waiting list and send me an email. The email should convince me that you can do the trip and that you understand you're ultimately responsible for your well-being. You also need to agree to hike as a group. We'll hike around 1.5 mph (goal of 4-5 hours down, 5-6 hours up as a group). For now, your addition to the wait list indicates interest in the trip. I'll start asking for commitments sometime in September.
Please keep in mind is that the weather can play a big factor - both in the hiking and in the transportation. Take a look at the averages for both the rim and Phantom Ranch and then check it as the trip approaches. Also, I will cancel the trip if the weather is bad for safe traveling.
Cost: $12 per person + a split of fuel + a split of hotel rooms. Plus your gear and any other personal expenses.
In the event of more people than my permit allows, I'll give preference along the following:
- first time Grand Canyon backpackers
- people I've met along the trail
- ability to do the trip (includes ability and commitment)
- I'd also like everyone to meet a week or two or three before
I can help with planning/check lists and even gear to those who are new to backpacking. The main thing is to convince me you are capable and committed to the trip.