Carpool at the Woolly Mammoth lot off of I-70, exit 259 I believe. We will meet at the section across from the Conoco gas station. Meet at 7am, leave at 7:11am.
If not carpooling from Denver: Head to Idaho Springs and take the Mt. Evans exit (#240) and get on Hwy 103/Mt. Evans Rd. About six and a half miles on Highway 103, take a right on West Chicago Creek Road and go for about three miles. The trailhead starts where the road ends, past the campground.
Starting elevation: 9,600'
Ending Elevation: 11,500'
Elevation Change: 2,100' overall
l hiking time: About 4-5 hours
Round Trip Length: 8 miles
Review from web: 'This was a fantastic hike. The weather was beautiful. I definitely enjoyed the change of scenery as you go up. The bristlecone pines at the top are so eerie. The open meadow area at Hell's Hole is so peaceful and quiet I could have stayed there forever and ever and ever and ever. Definitely like that it wasn't a horribly busy trail. I could so totally have buried a body out there and no one would ever know. Muhahaha!'
THE APRES Hike:
1401 Miner Street
Idaho Springs, CO 80452
My guess on timing for linner (lunch/dinner/brunch/afternoon tea) is approximately 1:37pm
NOTES (PLEASE READ!!):
1) PLEASE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO OUR GENERAL RULES, PHILOSOPHY AND LIABILITY WAIVER ON THE MAIN PAGE
2) ** Be ready for any kind of weather as this is late Fall/early Winter. Lots of layers, jacket, hat, gloves/mittens, etc. **
3) ** I don't anticipate needing snowshoes, but I do recommend some Yaktrax, micro-spikes, etc. as the trail may be snowy and/or icy. **
4) Bring extra water, as high elevations dehydrate the body at a faster rate.
5) Hiking poles would be helpful for some of the steep grades and uneven terrain and possible patches of snow/ice.
6) Please remember that mountain hiking might mean that we end up spreading out according to our pace and fitness levels. If you do split off ahead from the group, please wait at the summit for most of the members to arrive. If you can not complete the hike and need to turn back, please inform your organizer that you are leaving.
7) IF you run a carpool, or participate in a carpool, please coordinate with each other as to your individual pace and meeting back at the parking lot!